Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging question Again ................ aaaaaaah  (Read 2341 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Tagging question Again ................ aaaaaaah
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
Hi All - as I understand things -

Goats born on your holding must be identified:within six months of birth if the animals are housed overnight;within nine months of birth if the animals are not housed overnight (kept in extensive conditions); orbefore the animal moves from its holding of birth, if earlier.[/font]
So as most of my kids get sold at weaning time they get double identifier tags (non IED as not exported) when they leave my holding.

I can leave any kids just staying on the holding till 6 months as they are housed over night BUT as a couple will go to shows and therefore another CPH they will be double tagged before going to the show. Although up to now I was doing a single tag and a pastern tag (can't get them at the moment). Honestly I live in hope I'll be able to get pasterns soon so I single tagged a goat kid for a show and took tag and gun with me in case of an issue BUT

My friend who double tagged her kids (as I believed I should) was told she didn't need to double tag kids - am I missing an appendix to the rules re shows - I like to know if I'm breaking the rules and be prepared or am not - thank you folks :thumbsup:

Is
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Tagging question Again ................ aaaaaaah
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:10:48 pm »
Now I know my eye sight is not what it once was.... but I cannot read the small stuff... so no idea what the question is...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:36 pm »
Thank you Anke  (my eye sight not as it was also) - So sorry all for looking and I didn't check my post - copied and pasted and fonts went wonky - here goes again from 'notepad' so all should be visible by now - thanks

Hi All - as I understand things

Goats born on your holding must be identified

within six months of birth if the animals are housed overnight
within nine months of birth if the animals are not housed overnight (kept in extensive conditions)
before the animal moves from its holding of birth, if earlier.

So as most of my kids get sold at weaning time they get double identifier tags (non IED as not exported) when they leave my holding.

I can leave any kids just staying on the holding till 6 months as they are housed over night BUT as a couple will go to shows and therefore another CPH they will be double tagged before going to the show. Although up to now I was doing a single tag and a pastern tag (can't get them at the moment). Honestly I live in hope I'll be able to get pasterns soon so I single tagged a goat kid for a show and took tag and gun with me in case of an issue BUT

My friend who double tagged her kids (as I believed I should) was told she didn't need to double tag kids - am I missing an appendix to the rules re shows - I like to know if I'm breaking the rules and be prepared or am not - thank you folks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:57:33 pm »
I have always just put in one ear tag until 12 months, but maybe since they have introduced the separate slaughter tags that is not right anymore?  :thinking: But that used to be the case.

Anyway, one tag in ear, 2nd tag in bag and ready to put in on request always worked. To be honest, I have never had any queries at shows so far...

Others have said that they had clearance form their local AH that pastern tag and tattoo is ok too, but not sure I have seen anything official...

I had a chat with someone about that at weekend, hopefully haven't advised anything too wrong... :-\

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:28 pm »
That would make sense if the kids were bound for meat then only one tag was required but if bound to kept longer then 2 tags would required from the moment they stepped off the holding - they could have a bolus and I dare say there wouldn't be the equipment at a show to test if they had or hadn't - oh bring back the pastern tag asap - tattoo wanted one myself but never did so doubt I could do kids

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:55:47 pm »
This month's BGS journal gives an overview of tagging regs etc for goats - I was correct kids under 12 months (nominally termed slaughter animals) will only need one tag, which in goats (as not required EID) can of course be a single tag with individual number.

Once kids reach 12 months (and the breeder decides they will not be slaughtered) all that is needed to add a second tag or tattoo/pastern tag.

There is nothing in the regs (and it may be down to an individual inspector to interpret the rules anyway) that states that kids (or lambs with slaughter tags) cannot be moved from their holding of birth.

With sheep the usual procedure (if they are not ready to be sent under 12months) is to upgrade from slaughter to double tags.

Of course you may be asfer to double-tag kids early on, but it does rather ruin their ears...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

I really don't understand why the

https://www.gov.uk/sheep-and-goat-keepers-how-to-identify-your-animals

is different to that.

Do you then term all kids as slaughter even if there's not a hope in hell your going to slaughter the kid?

In a way I just wish there was one rule for all - much as I hate tagging - the rules, exceptions etc just don't make sence - and I've been to talks on tagging and spoken to the speaker to clarify my stock situation and now I am non the wiser - madness

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:08:36 pm »
I dont think the powers that be even know themselves! I would certainly prefer another method of ID as ear tags are so harsh especially in the ears of small cute Pygmy goats. Having said that, I have not had a tagging loss yet ! But never say never I suppose.

Thank you very much for taking so much time and effort to look into this matter !

I do like the idea of pastern tags and would certaily give them a try. Any word of them being put back on the market Brucklay ?  ;D
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:57:42 am »
I did, in a total strop spend one day on the phone to 'head office' DEFRA and believe it or not the minister phoned me back saying the replacement company for Agirflex had been granted the licence but then they  say they are not in production yet because of the licence so I think a bit of stalling is going on but there we go. I hope to be able to get them soon before I'm taggless!!

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 07:56:53 am »
I did, in a total strop spend one day on the phone to 'head office' DEFRA and believe it or not the minister phoned me back saying the replacement company for Agirflex had been granted the licence but then they  say they are not in production yet because of the licence so I think a bit of stalling is going on but there we go. I hope to be able to get them soon before I'm taggless!!

Watch out the tagging police will get you !!!  :roflanim: :excited:
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS