Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drugs in goats  (Read 2277 times)

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
Drugs in goats
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:53 pm »
Hi All,

I am about to worm my goats and my vet seemed to think that any sheep wormer is fine for goats - is this true?
I am intending to use Cydectin. Is the does level the same too?

Also, one of my kids has a foot abscess so I picked up Hexasol from the vets today. It is an anti inflam and antibiotic and pain killer. I am wary with which drugs I use as recently saw a post (cant recall where!) about certain sheep drugs being lethal for goats!

Thanks in advance for your advice. B

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Drugs in goats
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:50:37 pm »
Not sure about Hexasol but with wormers goats need a bigger dose than sheep but it depends on the type of wormer. Some it is 1.5 times some it is 2 times. Your vet should be able to find out for you.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
Is this cydectin as a drench or an injectable?
In general oral drenches are preferred as wormers for goats, there is whole page on the reasons in the John Matthews book (no time to discuss it now). If drench ivermectins are 2x the sheep dose, it would be adbisable to weight your goats, as it is really difficult to gauge their weight by just looking at them.

I have never used Hexasol yet, my vet gives flunixin and the required AB separately, I have used oxytetracycline and flunixin in the past, but maybe you want to check with your vet again. The one AB that I know is toxic for goats is tilmicosin phosphate (micotil is the main drug in the UK, but there will be other ones with it in). There was a recent discussion about it on Facebook.

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »
Thank you both!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:35:44 am »
we use Cydectin drench and Triclafas (sp?) for fluke rather than the combi ones like supaverm etc and seems to work fine  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:06:42 pm »
I think you will find very few if any drugs actually licenced for goats, the drug companies just don't seem to have the money to test for withdrawal periods etc on goats. Now that there are some large commercial herds, they may eventually get round to it, although the commercial goats rarely free range due to a possible worm problem because withdrawal periods have to be so long re milk when the drugs aren't species tested. :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS