Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Late Lambing hebs - catching up  (Read 2015 times)

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Late Lambing hebs - catching up
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:59:10 pm »
I've just started lambing the last batch of 10 ewes tonight - called out for single and a pair oif twins, all ewes so chuffed their. All done no assistance and all up suckling - the whole flock has huddled in and the farthers hanging around hoping for some treats meant for the mums.....

Ive never lambed this late before - purely due to changing land and moving to new pasture that these were lambed so late - No choice!

I know a lot of people think lambs born in may catch up with march and april ones by end of summer due to the easier start in life - is this true based on peoples experience? Normally I put to smaller breed (yep smaller than heb!) or even a smallish heb tup in their first year, but these may not be ready for that so thats fine - but if they can catch up that would be great!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Late Lambing hebs - catching up
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:43:28 pm »
I have experience of only one late arrival from my Hebs (June) - he never caught up til the following year.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:06:01 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
Re: Late Lambing hebs - catching up
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »
We always lamb our blackface in May, and by sale time there is no difference  to any of the other lambs at the market. Don't know if this applies to all sheep though. We don't put a tup with the ewes until they are 18 months, so 2 when they lamb however.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:55:15 pm by crofterswife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS