Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: building work  (Read 2618 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
building work
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
We're getting some stuff done to the outside of the house, and having seen the size of the builders' feet, I'm seriously worried about my flower garden.  I've just got it looking fairly good this year, but I think I will have to take out all the plants next to the house.  When I had to do this a few years back, I lost lots of plants.  It's absolutely the wrong time of year to move plants, all in full growth and flower.
Some of the climbing plants against the wall will have to be moved a bit, though hopefully not the roots, just the vegetation bit.

So, any tips on the best way to deal with my plants so I still have something to put back in once the lads have finished?   :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: building work
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
I can only suggest taking out enough soil with the roots and putting them in pots of compost so quickly they won't know they've been moved, then a good drench of water :-\
Or a stern look and a stick to rap any feet going too close ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:41:14 am »
Good idea Devonlady.   Four of the plants to be moved are peonies.  There were several here when we arrived 20 years ago.  About 15 years ago my late aunt, who helped a fair amount in the garden, decided to lift and divide the peonies.  Well, three survived but have taken all that time to recover to the stage they were at all that time ago.  The rest died.  I think I will do as you suggest, if I can get enough depth of soil (we live on rock), and will lift them on hessian sacks, which can go in the bucket with the plants, then they will lift back out easily.
There are plants like a totally beautiful creeping thyme which is about 2' across, similar sized saxifrage and rock rose, all growing in a squash together - hunt the root ball time.
My beautiful clematis which grows in with a Virginia creeper will have to be cut back to the ground whilst it's in full flower  :'(
There's the herb garden I planted last year, which has just established itself, several roses up the walls, loads of bulbs, masses of stuff, lupins just coming into flower....

There's no chance of stopping them trampling - they'll be building, reroofing plus gutters, repointing, new windows.  I think it's safer to just assume anything left in will be squashed.  They will be totally banished from the rest of the garden though, and no fag ends  :o  I'm dreading it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:53:40 am »
Have they given you an idea of how long it will take?
I think you'd be putting them in the shade anyway? thats about all I can suggest, could you actually plant them in the shade and replant near the house in Autumn or spring rather than leaving them wrapped up or in pots?
Just a thought, are you lifting your clematis and Virginia Creeper? I know they would be heavy but would it be possible to cut them to say, 4ft, leave them entwined, lifting both clumps together? sorry if that sounds silly, don't know your situation or how old they are and just wondering if it would save a bit of growth? I'd be worried it wouldn't recover at this time of year?
I joke that when we cleared my late fathers garden, about 4 years ago, the shrubs grabbed hold of my fork and wouldn't let go, there was about 6" soil at the most, then solid clay, waterlogged as well i think. the roots hadn't got into the clay. Brought them up to where I live, the holly I had planted there over twenty years ago, looked nearly dead, lifted and replanted here is now full of life, the others have all done well as well, that was after the planting season, just had to keep them well watered that year.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:06:05 am »
For the peonies it may be better to let them get battered this year and look a mess and they will come back next year on a strong root system, they really don't like having there roots moved!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:39:12 am »
Think we'll make wire mesh cages round the peonies, but there's one which really does have to be moved otherwise it would disappear under the new front porch. Maybe it will take better if it's planted straight out into its final position.

I've had a good look today, and there are really only two windows where everything will have to be moved.  If we put off the pointing til the winter when everything has died down, that would help.  Only things which would be trampled or have roof slates dropped on them will have to be moved, so not as daunting as I was thinking.  The back of the house has no plants so I can ignore that.

Thank you all for your comments  :thumbsup:

I'll try to post a pic of the creeper + clematis, + the climbing rose that's in there too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:40:48 am by Fleecewife »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:45:35 am »
Watching Chelsea on TV this year it was suggested peonies CAN  be moved but the thing to remember is they don't like being too deep. If you can replicate the level of soil around the plant it should help.
Good luck

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:30 pm »
I wonder if you could build a platform over the plants? just raised enough to clear them (or the lowest growing?)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS