Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB Update  (Read 1778 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
TB Update
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »
The two cows owned by the farmer who rents some land from us, which had to be destroyed - farmer rang me today to say they definitely did have TB.  The younger one in its lungs and the old one had ulcers on its bowel.  Farmer insisted on having his three young calves being tested, including one bull calf from one of the infected cows.  That calf is clear, but one of the heifer calves has it, so has to  be destroyed.

Farmer is very upset, 3 animals out of his little herd is a lot, and he is worried if more show up, his whole herd will have to go.

I have told him today that my plans to have some weaned calves this summer have gone out of the window.  No way could I have the stress of wondering if they had TB.

So, we will either rent the land out for horses, or let our own horses graze it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: TB Update
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
so sad for the farmer, hope you get good use out of the land
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: TB Update
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »
To be honest Little Blue, I cannot see the point in being here if I am constantly worrying that my animals may get TB.  One farmer not far away from us, has lost nearly 100 of his milk herd because of it.  He keeps buying in new animals, and they catch it......if that were me I would pack up.

As far as I know, my original land up the lane is TB free, for how long I do not know.  So, I can keep my goats, pigs etc. there ok, but there is 14 acres down here, and the grass will be growing shortly!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS