Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this orf?  (Read 4077 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Is this orf?
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:08:03 am »
I noticed this sore on one of our ewes this morning. Is this the beginnings of Orf do you think, or something else?

None of the others are showing any signs that I can see, so I've given her a squirt with the ubiquitous purple spray to prevent secondary infection, and put her in a separate paddock with her lamb.

Apart from not sharing feed buckets, and wearing gloves to prevent me from getting it, is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Is this orf?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:08:56 am »
Probably :)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:46 am »
I would say so, looks like they may have knocked the scab off?

We had a couple of goats with it but I heard it described as the animal version of chicken pox, the rest will probably get it in varying degrees...  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:05:19 pm »
Unless really bad sores in lamb's mouths prevent them from feeding from teat, it is just something they go through. You may find some of them get it, others don't. I have never really worried about it. Never segregated ewes/goats with it either. Once they had they are (probably) immune.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
"Me" is the resident Orf expert isn't he? I remember those gruesome photos of his hands!  ;)
Is it time to retire yet?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
Try putting rock salt out it is meant to help dry up the sores and prevent others from getting it. We have 4 blocks in with our lambs scattered around the field in places they congregate (2 gate ways, feed trough and water), 3 Himalayan rock salt lumps and 1 rockies pure white block.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »
Darn!  :-[

Weird how only one ewe is affected so far though. Perhaps her immune system is low at the moment with putting all her energy into feeding her lamb.

I wonder if the rest are about to come down with it too then?  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:25:20 pm »
It could be orf, but if it's just one ewe and just one lesion, my money's on she's speared herself on a nail or something.  From the pic, there looks to be quite a deep central part to the wound - and orf is usually pretty much superficial.  (In the 'on the surface' sense.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:38 pm »
Actually Sally, I think you may be right  :fc:.

The wound is healing up nicely, no others have appeared and none of the others are showing anything.

Let's hope so anyway :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 12:40:10 pm »
"Me" is the resident Orf expert isn't he? I remember those gruesome photos of his hands!  ;)

I nearly put: "Not as gruesome as your face" but decided against it (too strong Me, too strong). I do indeed have first hand experience...  :bow:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »
 :-\ I said the photos were gruesome, not your hands! You clearly had a pianist's hands  :innocent:

I hope you've given them back to that poor pianist now  ;)
Is it time to retire yet?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 05:04:32 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Crbecky10

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »
It could be orf, but if it's just one ewe and just one lesion, my money's on she's speared herself on a nail or something.  From the pic, there looks to be quite a deep central part to the wound - and orf is usually pretty much superficial.  (In the 'on the surface' sense.)

I agree, I'd find it more likely that the lambs would get orf before their mothers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS