Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Independent HETAS stove installer in Aberdeenshire  (Read 3156 times)

GWC

• Joined May 2015
Independent HETAS stove installer in Aberdeenshire
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:33 am »
Hi,
Does anyone know of someone that does wood burning installations from the Aberdeenshire area that is HETAS approved?

Cheers
Graham :fc:

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Independent HETAS stove installer in Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:18:59 am »
Have you tried this site http://www.hetas.co.uk/find-installer/ ?  Just pop in your postcode and it'll show you who's registered in your area

GWC

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:24 am »
Yes Tony, I've tried that. They are all stove suppliers.

I was looking for someone independent, who wouldn't charge and arm and both legs.....!

Thanks Graham

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:07:08 am »
Graham,

When I told a stove supplier I intended to do a self-install and get the council to sign it off later, he told me that the council probably wouldn't be interested in doing that (they weren't, and confirmed that for our job, no building warrant was needed as long as we complied with the codes), and also that HETAS don't have the same status as a statutory body in Scotland that they do in England.

We ended up doing two chimney linings and stove installs ourselves (recommend the stove fitters manual for guidance and hotline chimneys for parts). Both stoves were straightforward to install, and we saved 60% compared with what the stove shops quoted.

The building regs for stoves are actually quite straightforward too, so it's easy enough to read them to ascertain what you need to do to comply, and if a building warrant (or registered install) is required or not. If you don't want the hassle of doing that of course, don't chance it, and use a registered installer.

Also if DIY is not for you, is there a local chimney sweep you could use?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:43:52 am »
I am looking to do a self-install in Aberdeenshire as well. The regs are straightforward but its the insurance I am worried about.

Did either of you find out about insurance after a self-install ? or find a cheap HETAS to sign of on your work ?

That stove fitters manual site is great by the way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS