Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice needed re duck eggs under broody hen  (Read 1802 times)

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
advice needed re duck eggs under broody hen
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:00:58 am »
At the end of last month one of my hens went broody and there was no dissuading her. I therefore made a broody coop and run then swapped out the hen eggs (no cocquerel) for 4 runner duck eggs and she has proven to be a resolute sitter.
When candled 2 showed definite growth, one was definitely infertile and one was unclear.
The sitting started on the 1st of may and as such they are due to hatch in the next few days.
My question is what do I do with the ducklings once born? Leave them with the hen? Or take them away?

Any help will be gratefully received.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: advice needed re duck eggs under broody hen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:30:42 am »
You can leave them with her for a while, but you must keep them away from water. Ducklings don't produce oil to waterproof their feathers initially (about 4 weeks I think) and rely on the mother duck to supply it. I have also heard of a mother hen drowning in an attempt to save her 'chicks' that took to the water. They will need heat of course if you separate them.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: advice needed re duck eggs under broody hen
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
Give them a paint tray of water at a few days old, they will love it and it won't worry mammy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS