Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaners wanted - in 8 weeks time...  (Read 3552 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
weaners wanted - in 8 weeks time...
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:09 pm »
I am looking for a couple of weaners to fatten up over summer, preferably born last two weeks of february, so ready for collection middle of April or thereabouts... Any traditional breed except Tamworths, crosses ok too. Looking for two of the same sex, again no preferences. Not looking fo registered pigs, these will truly be turned into ham and sausages.

We are in the Southeast Scottish Borders, so anything from Newcastle/Durham area to Carlisle/Dumfriesshire and up to Fife/Stirlingshire considered.

Trailer and all paperwork ok - we have done this now for three years...

Regards, Anke.

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: weaners wanted - in 8 weeks time...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:14 am »
my registered saddleback is due at the end of the month if i have the dates right!
i am just outside Edinburgh near Penicuik.
sarah

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:44:01 am »
Just curious about why not Tamworths? :)
kirsty

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »
Re.: why not Tamworths....

Escapologists (or so they say...), and we have just tried to play it safe.

We have so far not had any escapes, but our pigs are double-fenced with electric wire and an outside fence of chicken wire on thin posts. When we let them out for the first time (always settled in for a few days in their ark) we find that they go through the electric fence with ear splitting shreeks and end up in the next fence... and then have to go back through the electric one...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:22 pm »
Hi Pink, would be very interested in a couple of weaners, Penicuik is near enough for easy pick-up. Send me an email once piglets have arrived and I could easily come across and have a look? I usually like to pay a deposit at the time of ordering, so that would make it more certain for both me and seller.

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:41:48 pm »
will let you know when they are born and we can firm things up.
thanks sarah

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:33 am »
We have our pigs outside all year except for farrowing, behind a double strand of electric fence. We've never had any problems with escapees even when introducing weaners straight into the fold. They seem to develop an instant respect.
All I can think is that if they're touching the fence and then shooting through it, is the tension on the wire good enough or is the wire at the right heights for the age of stock? Or perhaps the pigs are scrapping and ending up going through the fence during fights. Other than that I guess it's just the luck of the draw.
Bethan James
www.cilwg.co.uk

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:33:56 am »
One of my weaners is a tamworth x with wild boar and she was used to electric fencing when she arrived - she won't go within 6 inches of the wire.
And she is gorgeous. a real charmer
kirsty

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:36:35 pm »

I had a call yesterday from the woman that I got last lot of saddlebacks from. She has saddleback x landrace which are about 2 weeks old just now. Her name is Janice and she is at Hexham Tel no, 01434 685452. 
We got some from Ballencreiff nr Drem in East Lothian, they have Berkshire, Saddlbacks and Gos.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »
Thanks Daisysmum, will keep this in mind, possibly just a bit early if they are already two weeks old. Its just I am lambing from March 31st onwards, and also kids (goat) are due on March 23rd and 26th. So with milking and lambing together I would like to wait until end of April if possible. Many thanks though, might need it if other possibility doesn't come off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS