Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large croft for sale in yell shetland  (Read 13563 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
large croft for sale in yell shetland
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »
there is a 250+ acre croft on yell in shetland going for offers over £80,000. there must be at least 10 acres of arable land in the holdings and a very nice beach to. the house needs a lot of work and there is a ruined house being used for hay storage. nowt to do with me but its very rare for a croft of this size to come on the market. pm and i will send the details. i wish i had a spare 80k.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: large croft for sale in yell shetland
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »
hello Paul A very interesting post but I do appreciate its not on the Lincolnshire Fens  Its a large plot for so small a cash outlay Theres a 2.75 acre piece of land at Old Leak asking price £385000 Phew! ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »
ouch. must be aimed at housing.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:57:35 pm »
This might be a daft question, but what's it like to live in the Shetlands (for someone who's been living a long way south)?

If I could make a living there (I wonder if I could?), I could afford that, but Shetland always looks very bleak and cold and treeless to me. The closest I've ever been is the north coast of mainland Scotland in September (Dunnet head? or john o'groats).

I've got 3 Shetland ewe's, though - I could take them home!  :D

mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:00:19 am »
winters are winters the worst is the wind and rain. we are normally warmer than the south during winter. our rain levels are lower than devons. the summers make up for the winters up to 23 hours of sunlight. ive only ever had bad sun burn 4 times in my life and two of those have been in the last two years going bald can hurt. it does take getting used to but there are a few odd trees. it really is not a bleak as you seem to think. have a look atsimon kings shetland diaries. 

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:09:55 pm »
Is it in the thing that I understand as the Gulf Stream like where Palm Trees and the like grow on the west coast of Britian.No to the other Question I would think it very unlikely you would get planning there ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:34:37 pm »
it is the gulf stream but not much. for planning you would get permission without any problems. you can build in the rural parts very easily And can even get 30k in grants if on a croft. we pay 17 quid a year for 17 acres. you can even buy the land for something like 9 times the rental value.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008

sandy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:41:50 pm »
A lot of potential, it reminds me of an uncle who lived somewhere like that in North Wales.....near Hells Mouth ..I love my trees so a bit too treeless for me but what a great oppertunity for someone, looks like somewhere where there could be a reality TV series set,,,

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 07:04:20 pm »
It sounds absolutely wonderful!!!!!

sandy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
We have a guest staying at the moment from shetland, he said that to get to Yell you have to take an expensive ferry.....a step too far and too remote for some but ideal for others,they will sell that, you never know, maybe to someone on here or maybe they will join the forum....I wonder?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »
the main ferry up here is ok you travelling 300 miles so its reasonably cheap. 30% islander discount. the ferry to yell is a 20 minute sailing and costs a few quid for a car and passangers. it only paid leaving the main island free return all ferry travel in the northern isles is free at the moment. pensioners are free. it is isolated there is no arguing that.
i bet your guest comes from lerwick. its very odd but the folks who live in town seem scared off the countryside.

again its nowt to do with me just a very cheap chance for someonr to get into sheep or whatever very cheaply.

sandy

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »
He is a lovely man, been here before but...I need t have been reborn...Love m life in civilisation...hard to give that up at my age!!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:42:37 am »
I have to confess I'm seriously tempted; but it's one of those 'no going back' things and don't think I could make a sensible decision very quickly.

I still know virtually nothing about making a living off the land and I wonder if they've got enough work for a sparky up there.  :-\

still.....  :)

mab

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 07:17:46 am »
yes there would be. lots of building work. total are just about to build a 500m gas plant and theres lots of intrest in renewables. yes you would have to treat it like moving abroad you just can't nip back home up here. but if you have a few hundred sheep you won't be anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS