Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: for anyone !  (Read 2610 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
for anyone !
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:41 am »
please could someone kindly please reply to my post about trimming goats feet.
i think i called it 'first attempt at feet trimming'.
i really want to be able to get this right as i know how important it is in ngoat management.
many thanks langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: for anyone !
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:30 am »
You managed to cut their feet so don't see what your problem is. Trying with food is always a good distraction and as you said another person will always keep the goat calmer. My pygmy goats are easy, I just sit them on my knee. Most of the big ones don't particuarly like it but let it happen easily. The main thing you need is to feel confidant, good luck.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »
You need a hoof-trimming knife (I always used a Stanley knife but you do need a steady hand ) Get someone to hold the goat, give her a bit of good hay or similar to distract her, lift up feet, one by one and trim away the long bit of hoof, it's like cutting your own nails really. Cut too long rather than clip the soft part of the foot and finish with a rasp.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »
You don't "need" a knife. You need whatever you are most comfortable with. Some people like to use just a knife, but others always prefer foot shears. If you use a knife and you are not comfortable with it, you might cut yourself or the goat. I know someone who threw away their chance of winning the biggest show in Scotland, because she cut the goats feet with a knife just before going in the ring, and badly cut the goat. I also know someone else who did the same thing but cut herselfbadly, resulting in several stitches.

I do sometimes use a knife, but only at the end to level off the base of the hoof if it needs it. I use similar shears to Anke,

Found this link when I was looking for the link to my foot shears- looks quite handy! http://www.animalloversweb.com/sheep-foot-trimming.html

I can't find a link to the foot shears we're using, they are lamb foot shears, and have curved blades, quite small shears. They are probably the best foot shears I have ever used.

Anyway Langdon, there was no real need to start another thread about the same topic- why not just post in the first thread you started?

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:23:59 am »
THANKS BETH
REASON FOR ANOTHER THREAD WAS, IT SEEMED NO ONE WAS INTERESTED IN REPLYING TO FIRST POST!
ANYWAY WERE NOT HERE TO GET FUNNY WITH ONE ANOTHER ARE WE!
IM GRATEFULL FOR REPLY FROM YOU AND THE OTHERS.
THE REASON TOO WHY I PUT SO MANY POSTS ON HERE IS THAT I JUST DONT WANT TO GET ANYTHING
WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO THE WELLBEING OF MY ANIMALS.
THANKS AGAIN ;)
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »
Its ok Langdon, you're free to post as often as you like.   ;)  Remember though, as we get into better weather people may not always be on here as much, which might mean you won't get as quick answers, so bear that in mind. For instance, for me personally when we get into May and I am away at shows, there will be times when I won't be online at all for a few days.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
 ;) no probs
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS