Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatcher/incubator thoughts  (Read 2019 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Hatcher/incubator thoughts
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:48:01 am »
Hi I'm looking for guidance on a good hatcher/incubator. I've seen a few on eBay some look good some look like expensive plastic. I've never hatched anything before I would like to hatch a few hens and ducks going forward. Don't want to spend more than £175 really and it needs to be an automatic turner. Any suggestions and links for me to look at? Cheers

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: Hatcher/incubator thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:28 pm »
Hi helen.
last month I was in the same position as you. I bought an Rcom Suro from P&T Poultry and now have 13 (out of 15 - 2 non fertile eggs) healthy happy little Maran chicks.
I was so pleased with my Suro I bought another and now have 18 duck eggs in one and 4 goose eggs in the other!
They're really easy to use, keep a constant temperature and humidity even in my draughty house and are so quiet you don't even notice they're there.
I would recommend the Rcom Suro to anyone wanting a small-scale easy to use incubator and P&T Poultry ( http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/ ) were very helpful, the cheapest I could find and delivered very quickly.

I would also recommend you buy a hatching and incubation guide from "Cockerdoodlequack" on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guide-2-Incubation-Hatching-Caring-4-Chicks-Ducklings_W0QQitemZ250569778580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item3a571f6594
which will tell you everything you need to know.

Happy hatching!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »
Thanks Sam I think I saw your posts actually very exciting made me think more about doing it myself. Will take a look at the links. Cheers 

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »
I bought one of the expensive bits of plastic off e.bay. holds 24 eggs.. and its really good. have had it for almost a year now. I am on my 3 batch of eggs this year. and got 1 week to go.. plus of course to broody hens which do an amazing job :chook:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »
Thanks all, got the book ordered and bid on the rcom on eBay. Cheers

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:15 pm »
You won't be disappointed. Good Choice!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:55 pm »
Thanks Sam much appreciated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS