Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Season 2010  (Read 11302 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Growing Season 2010
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 01:33:08 pm »
I always grow loads of the stuff that I don't eat too much of so I am trying to grow the things in quantity that I like to eat.  Sounds simple doesn't it?  Well it isn't!  ;D

Have started by planting lots of artichokes (globe - not the jerusalme type - I still haven't got rid of those blighters from about 5 years ago!), and tomatoes and my favourite french type green beans.  Yum - already salivating.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 05:08:19 pm »
Hello G I grow things in boxes and pots as many Gardeners Delight toms as I can because they are smashing bottled at Xmas time and later I also grow lots of kidney beans There is pictures of them on youtube but where?Someone told me you register then upload easy so I did as I was told and there they were I don't know how.Tell me how to if you find them ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »
Hi all, we are at the end of our summer growing time here, but I still plant an autumn and winter crop.  I have brocolli, caulliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, my tomatoes for summer in the green house and capsicum (peppers)in the greenhouse.  I never seem to have success with my potatoes and the chickens ate my pumpkins this year.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:52 am »
Hello Annie 22 Now thats a mini fiasco letting the bods eat the pumpkins I haven't room to grow any but the head gardener usually fits me up I find they are such a useful vegetable boiling steaming roasting fill for chutney allsorts of things.I do manage a Green Bush Marrow though but it gets eaten none left for the pickles department.I am sowing my seed at the moment and I have set my potatoes Lady Crystl which there were none in Grimsby Brian got some in Newark.Red and White Duke of York and Home Guard I dont bother with main crop I usually get some from farming friends I have planted two applee trees along side the wash house wall and two red currant bushes out front.So thats where I am at in Grimsby today Easter Monday :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »
As yet we have not been able to turn over the veg plot due to the ground still being far too wet, been like this since last October. I have started planting in pots in the pollytunnel so that seeds are getting a start with the hope that we get some good days to dry everything up. so far, tomatoes, cabbage, sprouts but I have lots more to get started. I am going to have a go at doing the peas in a piece of guttering then plant out when ready. Potatoes will be in a barrel as we lost most due to blight last year so only growing early ones. Onions were a waste of time but I hope to do better with leaks. As I said it all depends on the weather.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »
Not getting much done here in Bulgaria at the moment, the weather has been beautiful and the garden dried out nicely until it rained again. Same happened last week and we've had almost 24 hours of non-stop rain here again so it's back to wearing wellies and having a garden that is unworkable.

I did manage to get some onions in but they may have been washed out! garlic, lettuce and what I thought were red cabbages but are actually purple sprouting brocolli are doing well. Tomato, chilli and pepper seedlings are ready to be planted out as are the leeks but they'll have to wait  :-\
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
Never thought to ask Anne Is the kookaburra laughing at you?

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:46 pm »
Everyone laughs at me Wizard.  Actually we get the Kookaburras, they sit on the horse fencing eating their worms.  Hmm havn't seen them for awhile.  Anyway I planted more carrot seeds today as well as turnip seeds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS