Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tethering pigs  (Read 6937 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Tethering pigs
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:00 am »
I am thinking about ways that I can utilize my piggies in the development of my vegetable garden.

Unfortunately, the "designated pig area" is a bit too shady for a veg patch but I can' think of a better preparation method for the ground than a good rootling and fertilizing by a pig.

Provided there is adequate shade (usually provided by clouds in Wales!!), water and food, can pigs be tethered for short periods (say - four  hours at a time)?

I have done a bit of reading about stress responses in tethered pigs and it looks like the main source of stress is denying a pig (tethered on concrete) the opportunity to rootle around, and that short periods of relatively innocuous stimulus may result in them becoming desensitized.

I don't know.

Does anybody have any experience of this?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Tethering pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:09:40 am »
I've never heard of tethering pigs but personally I wouldn't tether any animal! I think a pig would panic, run and rip whatever it was tied to out of the ground! Your better with a run of electric fence, in my opinion of course!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »
I would agree with Dixie, go for a temporary electric fence and just move them in for a few days rather than tether them daily. You would need something very secure to tie them to or they'd be off - and if they did get a fright and try to take off you could end up with a badly injured pig. I just don't think it'd be worth taking the chance.
But again, it's just my opinion - I'm not a fan of tethering either.
Karen x

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
Yes - it's too much of a risk. I have spoken with DH and he is keen to go for electric fence.

With regards to a temporary electric fence is it worth going for netting? or tape? .

I have looked at the Rutland Fencing website which seems to have alot of very helpful information but I would be very grateful for any advice.

Sorry to ask so many questions javascript:void(0);

I am away from home and don't have access to my pig book which has probably go all this in.

Susanna
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:42:35 pm by suziequeue »

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »
I've always just used the tape as the netting's very expensive and I worry that weaners would get tangled up in it. But others may have a different opinion.
As long as you run a strip at 6-8 inches from the ground and 18-24 inches from the ground (depending on the size of your pigs) it should be enough to keep them in. Providing you keep an eye on them and move them out once they've dug everything over you shouldn't have any escape attempts  ;) But if you leave them too long and they get bored they might try to get to fresh ground (on the other side of your tape)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
Ditto HH...electric fencing is the answer...PLEASE don't tether...its not natural and could prove harmful...Good luck with your project though

Farmer  :farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to write advice. I see now there are hundreds of posts about electric fencing and I have lreant alot.

Thanks for your patience.

Susanna

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »
Great advise on here as always, I am just having a chuckle to myself imagining myself running down the road or even around a field attempting to catch a panicking pig. I didnt have much luck with my pigs, they didnt like me very much. tasted delicious though. I was much more impressed with them when they were in my freezer than in my pigpen!
juliag

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:29 am »
Tethering was quite common in the 1950s before electric fences and was a good system. If it works, I attch a painting showing an Essex sow wearing a teather harness. The harness would be attached via swivels to a long chain staked to the ground. The sow had total freedom of movement into and out of the ark and throughout the length of the chain. Her piglets could run free and always returned to mum. I saw it used on hundreds of sows and there were certainly never any welfare issues. I doubt very much if you could find a harness today though.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
Mmmmmm - that's very interesting.

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS