Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap wall material for a barn / log store?  (Read 4663 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Cheap wall material for a barn / log store?
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:41 pm »
So now we're all eco friendly n'all, it turns out we get through a LOT of logs, and need a bigger log store!  ;D My dilemma is what can I make the walls out of that will be nice and cheap?

The new store will be about 10m wide x 3m deep x 2m high (think big bus shelter!). I think I'm going to use deer strainer posts for the uprights - they're like regular fence strainers but are 10'6" long, and can be concreted in place, and reclaimed box-section cladding for the roof.

But what of the walls?  To cover three sides is going to be over 30m2, and the sarking planks that I've used before for similar projects are just going to work out way too expensive. Ideally I'd like some sort of slatted arrangement that will be a bit draughty, to help the logs to season.

Any ideas folks?  :thumbsup:

I some ideas aleady
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Cheap wall material for a barn / log store?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 08:40:02 pm »
Pallets,cheap and you really need the airflow!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »
Is it freestanding or against a wall?  Could try heavy duty windbreak tacked to a grid of wood.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »

Totally agree with bloomer .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »
I dunno, maybe a little too redneck given that this is going to take over most of the garden as it is!?  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »

Totally agree with bloomer .
Me too - I got really good ones to make a fence - needed them identical fro it to look good.  Chap I got them from waits till he has a few then delivers.  Just waiting for a couple of chaps from work to have time to put in fence posts, then my son will attach the pallets.  My job is to spray paint them afterwards.

£2.50 each and 8 delivered for £5
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »
I dunno, maybe a little too redneck given that this is going to take over most of the garden as it is!?  ;D

Embrace your inner redneck. Your a small holder, if it helps let me womble.pick a pretty colour to paint them. Plus point is in 10 years you can use them as kindling and not feel bad about it, with not much effort they can usually be got for free if you have the ability to collect!!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »
LOL, as you well know Bloomer, I'm well aquainted with my inner redneck. It's just that Mrs Womble's is, how shall we say? A little less developed?  ;D

You may well be right though. Nobody's really going to see the back of the logstore since it will be full of logs most of the time, and I can easily do the sides in something pretty.

I called a sawmill earlier to ask about offcuts - e.g. the semi-circular bits you'd have four of if you turn a round tree into a square post. However, they didn't really sell that sort of thing, and seemed quite confused by the question.  I wonder what I should have asked for?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »
They'e called "slobs" down here.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:06 pm »
My log store works very well.  7 pallets with a  tarp over the top = two bays, one for kindling the other for logs
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:24 am »
Here they are known as backs. Most sawmills here now chip them and they get sold to big mills that turn them into wood pellets.
Shame as they used to be a source of very cheap wood

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS