Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: local bank to close  (Read 4252 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
local bank to close
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
Just had a lovely letter from RBS today informing me that my local branch will be closing in August!

To put this into context, this bank is the ONLY bank for 40 + miles. 
They have apprarently teamed up with the PO and RBS customers can deposit cheques there instead. A spokesperson has said they will install an ATM within 1 mile of the old branch.
I suppose we should have seen this coming but still.....yet again rural areas lose more essential services.

Our MP is on the case though  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: local bank to close
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:17:20 pm »
its a shame, inconvenient for customers.

and I also feel sorry for the staff who may be laid off, or have to work somewhere else not so handy.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:33:34 am »
One of the RBS banks on mainland (Orkney) is closing in august also. I hope they dont close our island bank, its only open two days a week as it is!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:02:52 am »
RBS made some kind of committment apparently that they would not close branches where they were the ONLY bank a while back but I guess they must have forgotten about that  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:09:05 am »
RBS made some kind of committment apparently that they would not close branches where they were the ONLY bank a while back but I guess they must have forgotten about that  ::)
Fiesty I guess it's time you reminded them of their commitment  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:05 pm »
our local community have set up a save our bank facebook page (quite ironic as most of us dont like the RBS as point of principle) but its our only bank and we all use it, lots of people here saying that they will chnage banks now, they only stayed with RBS because of the quality service we got from the staff

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:27:41 pm »
What do you use your bank branch for?  I don't ever go into banks because I can do everything online, by cash machine, by post or using the post office.

OH and I each have Co-op business account and have never been into a Co-op branch (I don't know where the nearest branch is). 

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:28 am »
I go into the branch office a lot.  No local post office, if I have to travel 8 miles to town it is as easy the bank as the PO.  I do not trust Internet banking as a good friend had hers cleared out by fraudsters and know of two others whose bank froze the accounts without any explanation and the card thingys did not work.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:26 am »
our nearest bank, the one which is closing, and our PO is 15 miles away but i'm in the bank a couple of times a week, paying in cheques etc but the biggest draw is that we have proper communication with the staff, if there's a problem with an account/funds etc one of the staff emails me or phones me.
One of my service users has a learning disability but lives independently and the girls in the bank are brilliant at keeping an eye on his accounts as he can sometimes get himself into financial difficulties and we can go in and get them sorted out  :(

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:14:56 am »
I recently sold a pig, bought some poultry, paid for bales of straw and paid for our hedges to be cut, on the same day, using cash.  I don't carry a swipe reader around with me and neither do our farming neighbours or contractors.  Our bank branch closed in January and I was informed I should use my nearest branch, which is 14 miles away.  I bet whoever decided that, in an air conditioned office in a city somewhere, doesn't have a 28-mile round trip in all weathers (and sometimes not possible because of the weather) to get cash.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 12:46:32 pm »
28 miles?..luxury!!! the branch that is closing is my nearest at 14 miles away, my next nearest branch is 45 miles away now so a 90 mile round trip  >:(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:33 pm »
But you are only a customer so you don't count.  :-J 

It wasn't so bad when you could draw money at your local post office instead but they are few and far between now.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
oh so very true MGoM

there is a cash machine within the PO but it has been out of order for months!! and even then you are tied to opening hours, closed at least 2 half days a week

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:13 am »
Our village bank closed a couple of years back but we were lucky in its replacement: http://www.thebankmicropub.co.uk/
I've never had so many important yet enjoyable evening meetings with 'the bank manager' before ;)
Maybe you could get something similar?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:36 am »
ha ha benkt, we are swimming in pubs here already which we can't avail ourselves of due to the drive home
good to see a comunity gaining an asset though rather than just an empty building

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS