Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plum tree growing advice please  (Read 2526 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Plum tree growing advice please
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »
I don't live in an ideal place for growing tree fruit, at 1000' on my windy hillside in the south of Scotland.  I have a small orchard however, as I believe in trying everything.  One or two apple varieties work well (such as Blenheim Orange).  We have tried various plummy types, such as Golden Gage, Merryweather Damson and Victoria Plum. 

The Victoria Plum cropped wonderfully for the first time last year, after previous total failures, and the Golden Gage is wonderful.  In the past we have had superb results from the damsons, but a new tree which has now cropped for the last two years has hardly any useable fruit.  We get loads of blossom, much of which sets in spite of cold winds, but then half the fruit is inedible due to exuding resin.  This deforms the fruit and makes it hard and a total waste of everything.  It's definitely not plum moth - no creepy crawly inside.

RHS mentions a physiological disorder but doesn't say what, or what to do about it.  Geoff Hamilton says 'improve growing conditions' but doesn't say how.

I know plums don't like waterlogged soils.  This tree is near a small pond, but it's lined with concrete so won't be affecting the tree.  The soil itself is fairly deep (for here), fertile and derived from ancient volcanoes, so neither clay nor sand. It's well sheltered from the howling winds.  I have seen that feeding with Potash and FYM will help.

What else should I try?  If I need to improve drainage then however do I do that with a quite large tree in the way?

All and any advice welcome as I LOVE my damsons and just want to feast on them  :hungry: :tree:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:10:20 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Plum tree growing advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »
No idea but I will be interested in the answer as I have high hopes for our damsons.

We are in a similar site, 1000ft up in the north of Scotland, on a north facing slope (and we are still waiting for the first blossom to come out properly this year!).
This year we planted a dozen fruit trees including a couple of damson as we were advised that they were were the hardiest of all fruit trees and should grow anywhere.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »
Bump?  :tree: :tree: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:39:01 pm »
Try and get hold of a copy of 'the intelligent gardener' by Steve Solomon and get some soil tests done. It may well be a mineral imbalance
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 03:08:44 pm »
We are on heavy red clay and damsons grow very well indeed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS