Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Older cows being put to the bull  (Read 3200 times)

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
Older cows being put to the bull
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:08 pm »
We have three Dexter cows, two are aged 10 and one is 12.  The twelve year old has calved once before about 9 years ago.  My question is this: are they now too old to be put to a bull? They are in very good condition (probably a bit too good!).   ::)

Thanks
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Older cows being put to the bull
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:26:03 pm »
They are in very good condition (probably a bit too good!).   ::)

That's one of the likely problems.

First question - do they still come a-bulling?  Ie., roaring and mounting each other on a 21-day cycle?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 01:32:09 pm »
BH just popped in, so I've asked him.

First question same as mine!  :D

Then he said he'd be worried that the pelvis would never have been loosened up on the one, and would have stiffened up on the other, and so there might be a risk of needing a caesarean.

Also, the one that's never been in calf has no experience of feeding a calf, so might need help getting used to that.  If she's not very tame, and/or you don't have good facilities, that might be an issue.

He personally wouldn't risk it, he says; too likely to be a downside.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:33:48 pm »
Given that you'd need the vet briefed and ready, in case of needing caesarean, it would be sensible to ask the vet's opinion now.  They can also have a feel/scan and make sure that everything is in order internally.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
Thanks Sally.  Yes they still come into season. The were looking for boys last week and calling a lot.  They don't tend to mount each other very often these days (probably too fat - only joking they're not that bad!).  Maybe we'd be best to get some young stock in and start from there.  :) But I will speak to vet and see what he says.

Thanks again  :thumbsup:
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:41 am »
One of our first dexters was 17 years old and had calved successfully that year when we got her so it wouldnt necessarily be an age thing

The difference being that with ours she had regularly calved each year so was well used to it !!

Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 09:48:56 am »
Exactly, if they've calved regularly, all their ligaments are loosened up. 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:19 pm »
 Agreed. I wouldn't risk it. Particularly as they are dexters so if you had to get the vet in it would cost more than the calf was worth.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
I have an old buffalo cow, first one ever born on my farm, and she never fails to get in calf every year. She still gives a lot of milk too. Some cows keep producing into their late years I suppose. I had a buff give her last calf at 20.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS