langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
walks?
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:42 pm »
today  beth bought the goats a rope each so i can lead over to their night shed
easily.
i was wondering are you allowed to take goats for a walk, a little up your lane and back.
does the whole thing with movement interfere with doing this?
as you know your advice is allways app.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: walks?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:26:21 pm »
Don't know, but is it your own lane or does it go somewhere else?  That might make a difference.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:50 pm »
its a mile long which leads to our main road ???
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »
If you are moving off your holding onto another holding, then no you can't. If the lane is connected to your holding only, then yes you can.

We used to always walk our kids up the farm road opposite our place, but once movement restrictions came in, it would have put their farm onto a standstill. I'm sure how it works if its a public road, and you don't connect with any other holdings.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »
Ballingirl is correct.  Since the foot and mouth, things have tightened up.  If the road is a public highway and used by anyone else, or vehicles, then no you cannot walk your goats.  If its a private track, which links my two holdings, then yes, its ok.  I think Little Blue mentioned a walking licence, but I don't think DEFRA would encourage walking goats because of the risk of infection.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »
You're right Roxy and little blue, there is a walking licence. And I'm sure I knew someone who had goats that had one- can't remember who though. I would contact DEFRA if you're interested in getting one.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »
years ago, I used to take my nannies to a very large B Sannan.  Lady kept 4 nannies and him in her garden, which was large, but they had no grazing.  She used to take two goats at a time down to the village park, on leads.  They would graze, while she collected them branches!!  She walked along a main road, quite a distance to get there.

The thing with walking goats is that you either don't get anywhere, as they stop  to eat all the time, or they pull you along dead fast wanting to get to the next tree to eat it!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS