Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - weaners West Cornwall  (Read 1716 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Wanted - weaners West Cornwall
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »
Hi
We are just about ready to take on our weaner adventure  :) Looking for 4 to fatten on our smallholding - we have 3 acres in total and have set aside about 3/4 of an acre for the pigs. We have the books, have been on a course and keep reading the forum avidly  ;D
A good introduction breed is probably the best idea  :D so were thinking of a lop eared traditional breed/cross - Tamworths are appealing but we are wary of the 'escapologist' tag for our first foray. As they are going to be kept for fattening the registration aspect of their breed is not a top priority.
We are looking to pickup the pigs from end March/April. We are 15 miles east of Penzance so really suppliers in Cornwall are probably the extent of our range. It would be even better if we could have a chance to come and see the pigs beforehand :)
Thanks for ay pointers
Regards
Tish

tavy lad

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Wanted - weaners West Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:32:22 pm »
Hi Trish
I know Lodge and thomas the auctioneers in truro are selling some pigs by private treaty (cornish lops and cornish lop x saddleback. might be worth a phone call. let me know how you get on or if you need anymore help

good luck
des

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:42 am »
Hi Des
Thanks for the heads up - I'd already sent an enquiry to them about that particular advert and am awaiting a reply  :)
Kind regards
Tish

tavy lad

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »
hi tish
there are 4 pedigree saddlebacks in par @ £50 each or various breeds at callington
des

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS