Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglet biting  (Read 3903 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Piglet biting
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »
Hi, one our new girls Aggie has started to bite. Of the 2 she is the most wary and runs off if you try to touch her most of the while. When she does let you touch her if you put your hand near her head she bites. Kim is totally different likes to be scratched not offered to bite at all. I know she's only a baby yet but I'm a bit concerned she may keep it up. Any ideas?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Piglet biting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »
"but I'm a bit concerned she may keep it up"

You don't say how old they are but yes this needs nipping in the bud.

She has not yet created a trust with you, and the more you push this by trying to stroke her, the more she will resist.

Since you have a more friendly one I would feed them, then stay with them after the feed.  Take a bale of straw in if you need a seat, and just sit down and do nothing, this will encourage them in to you.  When either approach, totally ignore - if you try to stroke they are likely to go back.  Just sit in there for 5-10 minutes AFTER they have eaten, and let them get curious about you.  Hopefully they will come up and get bolder.   They may start to explore the straw and you.  If either attempts to bite, just tap their noses, otherwise totally ignore them.  Then just leave.

Do this for 2 nights minimum - totally ignore.  Day 3 if (and only if) you can stroke without them seeing (we wait until they come in close and then just touch their backs, using nails to give them a gentle scratch) then do so, but don't push it.  May take a week to get to this stage with the vary one.

By being passive, you take away any threat to the piglet, and they tame much easier.  Keep persuing and you will just make the problem worse.

Patience, slowly slowly catchy piglet !!

Good luck

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »
Thanks I will try this, they are 8 weeks old and we have had them 1 week. As I say 1 is fine happy to be scratched the other not keen at all. I have only scratched her head when she came to me but she did then try to bite so will back off a little.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:19 pm »
Bad ickle piggy!!  >:(  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
she didnt misunderstand and think you were feeding her?
Our kunes will stand on the fence bottom to be hand-fed, but we have to warn other people to be careful as if you dont have food, they may just nip!  Only I have been bitten once, and that was with food in my hand, but you never know!
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »
No I had no food, she bit my 13 yr old as well so I've had to tell her not to touch her at least for now. I will try to take it steadier with her and see how she goes. She may just be one who doesn't like to be handled I guess. If she keeps up I will have to review the plan to keep her for breeding. Hopefully it's an aberation and she will stop once she gets used to us more.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:32 pm »
Yes its early days, go with the advice above and just sit and let them come to you! pigs are very nosey and will soon want to be your friend, but if they bite you just a tap on the nose soon gives them the idea, good luck and keep us posted.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:22 am »
Hi all, quick update well Aggie is getting much much better... more than happy to be petted if i'm the other side of the fence, actively seeks attention now. Still a little wary if i'm actually in the pen with her but I ignore her and only pet if she comes up to me.. seems to be working. If she tries to nibble (and I don't actually think it's malicious now I think she's mouthing a bit like puppies do) then she gets a tap on the nose and she packs it in.. actually theres quite a lot about them that reminds me of puppies.. if they get excited they run around in circles chasing each other and trying to chase me 'barking'.. they are so funny I love them already  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
thats good then...
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS