Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora Goats, anyone keep them?  (Read 5314 times)

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
Angora Goats, anyone keep them?
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:05:30 pm »
Anyone keep Angorans?

I just wondered what they are like to keep?

Any specials tips?

How much am I likely to pay for some?

;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Angora Goats, anyone keep them?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »
I had two a few years ago- know a couple of people who keep herds. They aren't good on damp ground, it gives them footrot, which is why they have never done so well certainly in Scotland anyway. I don't know how much they would put you back now, to be honest, you might even struggle to find some. Ours were complete escape artists, we lived a field away from the M90 motorway, and they used to graze on the motorway verges. We got rid of them not long after that.

Beth

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:54:53 am »
I had two a few years ago- know a couple of people who keep herds. They aren't good on damp ground, it gives them footrot, which is why they have never done so well certainly in Scotland anyway. I don't know how much they would put you back now, to be honest, you might even struggle to find some. Ours were complete escape artists, we lived a field away from the M90 motorway, and they used to graze on the motorway verges. We got rid of them not long after that.

Beth

The fields I am getting are pretty dry so hopefully should be ok with their feet. I guess I will have to pay extra attention to the fencing to keep the little buggers in  ;D

Thats if I can find any?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »
I have a couple of angora goats. They are prone to bad feet in damp weather so you will need to have somewhere ideally to house them if need be.
We shear ours twice a year and only one can be a bit of an escape artist. They love to graze what ever is in the next field, so fences need to be sturdy, but saying that they are great to have around.
:goat:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:14:55 pm »
Isn't it funny how all goats would prefer to be in the field next door? :goat: :goat:

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »
Isn't it funny how all goats would prefer to be in the field next door? :goat: :goat:

Thats because the grass is always greener  ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:38:41 pm »
Have a look on the British angora goat society web site. They have a breeders directory.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:47 pm »
I also noticed today that quite a few breeders have their own websites. I saw links to the websites from the breeders directory on country smallholding's site. http://www.countrysmallholding.com/Dir_Search.aspx?page=6528&code=CH47

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS