Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help which trailer??  (Read 6368 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Help which trailer??
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:10:15 pm »
Im looking at the ifor williams p7e/p6 small trailer.
We need something that is small enough to tow with our quad bike, big enough to fit the quad bike in when its towed by the car and also to fit in a few sheep, and maybe pigs in the future. (not together of course)
Also, all the ones on ebay iv seen say they have off road tyres…they can be used on-road though correct (sorry girl question probably)
We just don't want to put what little money we have into a trailer that won't meet ALL of our needs.

Thank-you :)
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: Help which trailer??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »
I borrow my neighbour's p6e and am planning to buy one of my own soon.  It does all the things you want.  We tow it with the quad bike off road and have used it to transport both quad bike and sheep on road for journeys of 60+ miles.  Great trailers, however they hold their value so well it's hard to find a used one at much of a discount!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:01:10 pm »
quite right Thyme, re cost. Ive been looking for a cheapish second-hand one for weeks and its a hopeless search. Even our local trailer dealer says I'll never find one
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »
Off road (sometimes called M&S - mud-and-snow - tyres) refers to the deep, cleated tread which will give more grip.  In my experience it's more important for the towing vehicle to have the M&S tyres if you're going to be hauling the triler over wet ground in the Winter.  They are road legal. 

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »
We have a large IW stock trailer which we love for larger numbers of sheep, cattle ponies etc., but when looking for a small one to do what you are describing, we went for a CLH Trailers one instead.  We prefered it because a) it was better value for money b) you can put the internal gate in different places rather than just in the middle so you can have a smaller section and a larger section c) the roof is hinged at the front, so one (fairly weak and feeble i.e. me) person can raise it from the back, drive the quad straight in and lower the roof back down very simply.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:00 pm »
we also have a CLH trailer It's great!. We bought ours from a small dealer near Welshpool (he is on ebay - if you search for CLH trailers you will find him) Highly recommended!

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:37:23 pm »
Thank-you everyone.
Iv emailed the man in Welshpool (only about 10miles from us) in the hope we can have a look at what he has available.  :thumbsup:
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Another vote for CLH lifting lid but they are not perfect!

Ours is 7.5 x 4.5 and has hard use. You wouldn't want bigger on a single axle. In general the guts of the trailer is very good but all of the peripherals are poor quality and/or badly designed:

The lights are too big and protrude from the metal light defenders and are therefore vulnerable to damage. I broke them twice, the dog ate them once and they were replaced with a much smaller set plus I put a bolt in that actually sticks out further than the bulbs to protect them (just this week actually).

The break away chain is made from chocolate and broke between the drawbar and the floor when I set the trailer down a little roughly.

If you don't secure the door with the rings provided it can shake open bouncing down a rough lane.

You can tighten the jockey wheel to the point you bend the chocolate metal bolt and it can still shake loose in transit even if you were very careful about getting it well secured - force is not enough to be sure (I had a new one for free, I wont bother with a third it is a waste of time).

They are the down sides - still better than the P6e we had before though.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
If you do look at an IW you need the P7e not the 6, in order to fit in a quad bike.  :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »
Or a very determined run up and a good crash helmet

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »
If you do look at an IW you need the P7e not the 6, in order to fit in a quad bike.  :)

We brought my quad bike (Honda TRX) home in the p6e and it fit well enough.

Although now I'm wondering if I'm confused and it's a p7e.  Will go look.

Confirmed, p6e.  No crash helmet was required.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:53:58 pm by Thyme »
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
Oh, I always thought they were just a little too small for the 6.  Good-o, cos I have a 6 and I might look to buy myself a quad in the future :).

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »
Depends on the size of your quad, I would have thought, there is a huge variation!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:21:38 pm »
We have been having a similar debate here. We have actually decided to go with the IW Q7. It does all we need in terms of livestock, the roof also comes off meaning it doubles up as a flatbed. Due to arrive in a bit so hopefully will live up to our expectations!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:10 pm »
Great thread, I had exactly the same questions!  :thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS