Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old billy goats (esp boer)  (Read 5357 times)

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
Old billy goats (esp boer)
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:47:42 am »
We are considering various options at the moment with regard to getting our boer goats in kid for next year.
We even wondered if it would be economic to buy an old billy for a couple of months, then try to sell him on, but it got us thinking..... what happens to old billy goats. If you read on the internet, it seems to imply they are completely inedible, so if you have a Billy goat that is too old to work what happens to it, does it just end up at a knackers yard?  and is it feasible to buy a billy for a few months and sell it on?

Thanks

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Old billy goats (esp boer)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:24 am »
Id never sell on a billy until id seen the product he produces ! If its good you may want to keep him ,!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:50:04 am »
It can be viable to buy a billy and sell him on after a couple of years when his daughters are coming through.
Our last boy was about 5 when we bought him as a proven male, and we sold him on a year and a bit later after two mating seasons for stud use.
We've replaced him this time with a yearling buck who is from good lines and with cracking confirmation, so would expect him to sell on well in a couple years when his daughters have come through.
I expect most boys will get sold around like this for a while, and after a time, things like bad feet, arthritis, even infertility will make them less useful. Some may send to the knacker man, but there is a market for older goats for meat, and outside breeding season there wouldn't be the same taint. If you put them through the market at that point, someone would snap them up for meat if you didn't fancy it yourself.

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00:15 pm »
That is interesting to know that there is only billy taint during the breeding season.

Roughly how old are Billys before the are considered "too old"?

Also do you know any Yorkshire markets that deal in goats. We have only found Skipton, which whilst is a possibility is a long drive. Are there any others we are based near (ish) Hull/Howden

Thanks again

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »
We ( myself and fsm nutter) are up in Aberdeenshire so wouldn't know about Yorkshire !????

VikkiB

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »
Verdifish and fsmnutter,
I had the realised that you were both in lovely Banff area (which I am rather fond of, although it has been far too my years since I have ventured up there) but I hoped that someone else might be along to answer the Yorkshire question.

Thanks for your answers.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:10:40 am »
Vikki B - I am near Goole. I have a couple of contacts for people wanting to buy cull goats if you want them.  We sold our 5 year old male last year having used him for 3 seasons. Older boers do come up. 

fsmnutter - glad you like your new boy!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:22 am »
I bought verdifish & fsmnutters last Boer Billy, he's a darling and 7 years old now. I actually had some man from the BBGS on the phone when we transferred his registration papers and he mentioned how old the billy was and was surprised he was still at sire but Nobby stepped up to the plate with style and have just had 5 girls scanned, all pregnant with a mix of twins and singles  :excited:
TBH I don't think I could send Nobby for slaughter after he's done a couple of seasons, not like the last billy we had who was just pure mean and nasty and I enjoyed eating him  >:(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »

TBH I don't think I could send Nobby for slaughter after he's done a couple of seasons, not like the last billy we had who was just pure mean and nasty and I enjoyed eating him  >:(

I think character does come into it a lot. I have a female aged 4 or 5 who is going for slaughter as she has a nasty temperament. I will enjoy every mouthful and have a few people who have had dealings with her who want some of the meat as well.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:02:32 pm »
Feisty ,so so glad nobby has proved a good by for you guys , Surprised the BBGs phoned to question his age and ability to breed ! But anyway happy your happy and he is a real laid back cuddlemonster !!!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
Feisty ,so so glad nobby has proved a good by for you guys , Surprised the BBGs phoned to question his age and ability to breed ! But anyway happy your happy and he is a real laid back cuddlemonster !!!

hi, he phoned to make sure I knew I couldnt register any of Nobby's male offspring as he wasnt of a high enough % but I could register the girls, then he said he was surprised about his age etc. Nowt wrong with him I said  >:(
and as for cuddles...I get them daily along with some slobbery kisses  :love:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:33 am »
Hi Vikkib
Why are you thinking of an older billy? so it's proven?
I know there will be lots about so why not a male kid? easy to transport (I use a large dog crate), time to bond before he gets confused about different homes, If you have boer nannies he should easily manage them (esp if you have a slope somewhere so he can be higher).
If you mate your own early enough you should be able to sell him on after, but you'd really have to wait 6 weeks after the last mating or you may regret selling him :-)
+ as long as yours are CAE tested as well, he would have more resale value?

Also sent you a pm

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:34 am »
I know of a few people that buy in A billy kid, cover their girls then sell it, they then buy another kid the following year and do the same.
One told me they couldn't keep a billy with the smell so this way they come and go before they get old enough to really smell .
I just can't imagine not having William
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS