Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CLB cockerel / Welsummer hen  (Read 1978 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
CLB cockerel / Welsummer hen
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »
I've got some nice CLB boys who are about to crow and want to start breeding them with my best 3 CLB hens who are true to type. Obviously too many boys to girls but I don't want to get rid of either as they are both good and one might drop dead for no apparent reason (as they do when you only have one). So, I've got some older Welsummer hens I was thinking of moving on and was wondering what would be the result if I used all12 of them to make a flock of 15 hens to the 2 boys.

I gather that olive eggers are usually achieved by putting a Welsummer cockerel to CLB hens but what about the other way around? Any idea what colour eggs the resultant hens would lay?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: CLB cockerel / Welsummer hen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »
no idea Stereo but olive eggs would be divine  8)
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:32:04 pm »
I'm trying out the Welummer cockerel on CLB hens route this year but the eggs are still in the incubator.  Depends on the dominant genes, I guess.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
Just read that as long as the blue gene is in there, you will get olive eggers. As long as you have a blue layer and dark brown layer. Most people seem to use dark cockerel over CLB hens. Might pen them up and give it a go. Will be spring 2016 now before I know the result though probably.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS