Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 13685 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Help please
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:47 pm »
Hi

I am really hoping you will be able to help me - tomorrow for the first time we have someone coming to slaughter two of our pigs (they have always been together so evidently have to go together) he is a french man and has assured me that his method of killing them is the quickest and best way - that is by sticking a knife in its throat - I said I wanted them shot/stunned as I did not want my pigs to suffer but he said it would be worse as they apparantly shake and it is more frightening for them.  Please can someone tell me as I really do  not want them to suffer - I am dreading it but at the same time looking forward to the bacon. 

It will be something I never repeat as in future they will go to the abattoir. 

Many thanks

Nicki

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:42:18 pm »
No matter what he says,insist on them being shot/stunned first. They might shake a little,but that's nothing to the 2-3minutes of abject terror they'll go through,being hung upside down and having their throats slit whilst being awake. I've seen it first hand with humans as well as pigs,and believe me,shooting/stunning is much more humane. If he refuses to stun,them don't use him. I have a number of a guy called Jackie,but I don't know where you are........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:59:10 pm »
Please don't do it - cancel him and go to the abatoire.  Pigs are intelligent kind feeling animals.  It would be like passing your dog to your 'chap', you just wouldn't do it.  By the fact that you are posting you are obviously concerned, so follow your own instinct and make alternative arrangements.

As Ree says, stun or gun to the head - it is quick and if you have trained them to the bucket, this can be done when their head is down and they know nothing of what is going on.   We have had all of our pigs done at home so far, and our pigs have walked down with us quite normally and happily following a bucket of food, and never knew what had happened. It is true that they do jerk afterwards but it is just muscle movement nothing more.

Now we have our SIRET number here in France, and can now sell our meat, we are going to have to take ours the abatoire root which I am not looking forward to.  We are going to visit the one nearest to us to see what it is like and whether it is suitable for 'our' pigs.

Make the call now, and organise something else for them.  You will enjoy your meat much more knowing that they were as happy at 'the end' as when they were living with you running and rooting around.

Kate  :pig: :(
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:38:02 pm »
Trust your instinct.

We shoot our chickens before we bleed then and yes, there's lots of flapping but it's muscle / nerve reaction - they are well dead. I couldn't bleed an animal to death while it was conscious.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:15:05 pm »
Believe me if you do it this will haunt you for the rest of your  life.  Not exagerating.  Still wake up hearing the pigs screaming when my neighbour in UK did this 20 years ago.  I dont consider myself sensitive.  Imagine their terror at being hung up by a back leg before having their throats cut.  Dying takes several minutes.  Its inhuman and should be illegal.

Apologies for and no offence meant.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49:02 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies;  I rang the french man and told him before reading them, that I wanted them shot/stunned first as in the end I went by my gut instinct.  We love our animals and cannot bear to think of them suffering even so I am still dreading tomorrow.  Next time it will be the abbattoir as I know from experience with our sheep that the animals do not suffer at all and it is quick.

Thank you very much again.

Mr Ree maybe you are near me I have the name of someone called Jackie as well in department 53?

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
I'm in dept 50 between Mortain,Sourdeval and Brecy,10km in any direction.So quite near to you if you're in the north of 53,his name is Jacky Mancel. He advertises around the place,and after talking to a few people that have used him,have decided that he's worth a try once. Let me know if you would like his number...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:46 am »
I dont understand why anyone would go for a home kill

to use the abbatoir at St Hiliare  you dont need a siret only an elevage number

by registering as an elevage you pay around 20€  & year-  plus it is cheaper to send pigs to the abbatoir then arrange for a home visit!!

it isnt just the killing -pigshave to be scraped of theirair , plus the gutting hanging  and then later butchering

a home kill can also mean you assisting :(

the abbatoir route is the only option for us

drop off one day & collect 2/3 days later when the deed has been done

We have been very impressed with the service at st Hiliare

It is not a large commertial abbatoir  so the animals arent crammed into pens by the thousand to await their fate

We always take our pigs early so they are the first to be 'done' the next day

When we collect we even find out the time of killing  usually less than a minute between the pigs

I think you owe it to the animals to give them respect right to the end - so stunning it HAS to be

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:37:29 am »
Thank you Nellie for your thoughts.  We do know how good the abbattoir at St Hilaire is but:  we have never cut up a carcass before (if they do it at st hilaire it is 1.50 to 2.€ per kilo thus not cheaper than having the pigs killed at home.  We also have no way of getting these pigs their although we are looking for a decent animal transporter which obviously can't be too dear.

This time my other half is going to watch very carefully to learn how to cut the carcass so that next time we can go to the abbattoir and just have them killed as I understand that it is only around 30€ for them just to be killed - perhaps you could confirm that?

It is costing 90€ per pig as they both have to be done together but then he said he was making the boudin and the sausages and as we don't want either as we will make all our own I am hoping to get his price down a bit but if not I will just have to put it down to experience.

He is definitely going to stun them as I phoned him last night if he turns up with an excuse for that then I will send him away.
He will be here in an hour and a half and I am dreading it.

I just do not want them to suffer. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »
Hi Chickens, am thinking of you as it must be about now.  Hope all has gone well.  HM

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:56:28 pm »
Hi

Thanks but it has not happened!  The guy turned up and the tractor man had let him down as apparantly it is going to rain tomorrow and so all the tractors are out working - anyway we thought we could work round it but then he announced he needed a tap near where he was going to hang them as he did not have the tractor.  Well of course we haven't got one that close - he started to get a bit stroppy and I told him it was his fault as when he first came to explain everything he did not mention needing a tap he just checked that we had electricity. 

So he is supposed to come back tomorrow with a tractor - we are so stressed out and fed up - and right at the end he announced that even though he shot them he did not shoot them until they were on the tractor - tied up!!!! So now he has gone off to organise a tractor I am having kittens because I wanted them shot before anything was done otherwise poor things will be petrified on the tractor - ugggh it does not bear thinking about.  I am going to ring the abbattoir but I cannot afford to wait 3 weeks as they are costing us so much food wise at the moment and we do not have a trailer nor the cutting equipment.  Talk about being stuck!!! Anyway I will ring the abbattoir hoping they can do it quickly, see if I can borrow a trailor and take it from there;  As for cutting well we will just have to learn quickly...

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:07:36 pm »
Chickens, I am so sorry this is turning into a nightmare for you, you are right, they will be very stressed being hung from a tractor.Have you contacted Mr Ree for his contact person, maybe they are able to help quicker than the abbatoir.
Also maybe mail Katie(pigsatlesrues)  she may be of help, she has always been supportive of my crisis in the past. Sadly I am in Brittany so unable to offer anything else really.

Please keep us updated as we are all I am sure thinking of you and your pigs

Carole

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:23:54 pm »
For ease,because I'm off out again........ Jackie's number 06.98.99.18.94  I apologise in advance for posting his number,but he does advertise on posters in shops and circumstances are a little strained.

My advice would be to cancel the guy you have booked for coming tomorrow. I can't for the life of me work out why he would want to try and shoot a wriggly,stressed out,moving target instead of a happily eating,head down pig. The guy is a nut!!  If indeed this turns out to be the same Jackie,please let me know because there is not a snowflakes chance in my pants that I'm going to use him!

Gawd,now I'm stressed out too....... time for a bottle opening me thinks  ;D

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
hi chickens

sadly  the majority of french farmers see livestock as 'beasts'  and dont see the importance of animal welfare

there is a particularily unplease chap  who on taking his pigs to the abbatior 'encourages them' to go through the door  by beating them with a stick!

we lead our slowly in with a bucket of food - will a little persuasion- it doas matter if it takes 5 mins or 20 we dont want to cause our animals any undue stress

If you ring the abbatoir the young lady there is very helpful

there are also some abbatior that dont need a elevage number- perhaps its worth asking on some of the other 'french' forums

Bonne Chance!

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:35 pm »
I would just like to echo the thoughts of many on this thread that you are better trying to arrange to take your pigs to an abbatoir. If I was closer I would be only to happy to help as I was  a butcher for many years .if you need any help or support when cutting if you either post on here or send me a pm I will do what I can to talk you through.
 Andrew

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS