Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kiddings.  (Read 8712 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Kiddings.
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:39:47 am »
Hello,

This year we are supposed to have 8 goats to kid, but one has just decided she hasn't held and come back into season, which is a shame because she is now 3 and still not had any kids, so we now have seven goats to kid.

Christina, my mum's British Alpine (she was mine first, and I decided we had too many breeds, but my mum said you can't sell her and took her instead- so we still have as many breeds!) is due to kid on the 21st of this month, so only a week to go now. She is looking very big, and these will be her first pure bred kids as she doesn't hold in kid if we travel her to a billy- we had to bring a billy to her this year. She is a breed champion, so we are hoping to get some nice kids from her.

Will keep you posted on how she is doing

Beth.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Kiddings.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »
all the best, then!
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »
sorry beth this has nothing to do with kiddings!
is that a pic of a proper goat sign on your posts.
if so where did you get it?
i would love one for the stone pier for the gates!!!! ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:05:50 pm »
Talk to happyhippie!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:29 pm »
Not much happening yet, she's going longer than we thought. Her udder is a bit lopsided at the moment, so hopefully it will improve. We have homes for 2 males if she has boys, so that won't be an issue. I hope she has a female as well though!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »
Thats good that you have homes for two boys - we have had three boys this  time so far, so fingers crossed Jamine has a girl (or  two!)  She is bagging up, but a few weeks to go yet.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »
Hi all,

I have had to bring myself to update this. Christina started to kid on Tuesday morning, and I had to toddle off to work to bring in the pennies. Mum and ALex were at home with her. She gave up pushing by 10am, so mum investigated and found the problem was two kids, both coming forwards at the same time. Mum tried but was unable to kid her, so we had to call the vet, who also had great difficultly. She did eventually manage to get out all three male kids.

The second kid who probably had the most trauma from kidding was very weak, and died within a couple of hours. Christina didn't produce any afterbirth, and was in shock from the handling when I got home from work. She looked awful when I saw her first, but we got her rugged up, and persuaded her to drink some glucose/treacle water, which she had refused to do earlier. She wouldn't touch food, but did look brighter. When mum went out at 6am, it was clear she was not going to make it, and she died 20 minutes later.

So we have two wee boys, who of course need feeding. Fortunately we have Romily running through and she is giving about 4 litres a day. We will buy some dried milk as an in case to supplement her milk until the next goats are due to kid in 4 weeks.

Sadly we never had a daughter from Christina to carry her line on, in fact the boys are the first pure bred BA kids we have from her. She was a breed champion, winning 7 1st firsts out of 8 BGS recognised shows she went to and winning 6 BCC's, gaining her breed championship as a first kidder. She lost out on a BCC at the Royal Highland Show as she threw a strop and kicked the bucket of milk over! She then ran through last year as we couldn't get her to hold in kid and despite not having a huge quantity of milk, still was awarded BCC's, and was placed in the top six line up several times in 2009. My 11 year old neice took complete charge of her last year, and would not only show her in the show ring, but prepare her for the show/judging and milk her at the shows as well.  She had a fantastic relationship with my AN milker Kream, they loved each other to bits, but they had a very sado-masochistic relationship! Essentially she beat up Kream, who was quite happy with this as she would just lie down and eat lots of food while Christina had a strop! She was very determined to get her own way, and ran her herd of goats with an iron hoof. I'm so sorry we don't still have her.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:09 am »
Hi Beth. I am so sorry to read of your loss. This is the reason I have never been tempted to breed from any of mine. I know you get more happy endings than sad ones but just too afraid to risk it. I hope your boys do well and all your other kiddings are stress free.  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:51 pm »
Oh! So sorry, and hope the baby boys bring you joy, and can help to ease the grief at losing a lovely - sounding girl.
All the best for your other kiddings
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
I am so sorry about your losing your lovely girl.  I think it brings things home to us, that not everything goes smoothly sometimes.  Having lost two kids already this year, I am awaiting my Jasmine to kid, and will be a bit  tense until the kids arrive safely.  Funny thing is, the goat that lost her kid, had one last year, in the back garden of a lady who had no idea about goats and kidding, and all went well .......

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »
Sometimes they just get on with it themselves Roxy and let us humans know how useless we are!

The good times do outweigh the bad James, but I can see where you are coming from. The wee boys are growing fast, and are very hungry. They are already taking 15 fluid ounces at a feed! They are named Carrick and Charlie.

I must take some still pictures of them- haven't taken any yet. Alex did take a video of them getting their first bottle though. Please ignore our untidy house! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEFsz5YhsA

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44:52 pm »
Beth what a fantastic video. That must help ease some of the heartache over the unexpected loss. The boys are gorgeous, are you keeping them since you lost their mum?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »
Very sad to loose a goat during kidding - mine are due to kid in 3 and a half and 4 weeks, but getting a bit anxious now! The BT goatling is looking quite big already!

But I loved the video, thought your dog was about to adopt them!

Lets hope the others go much smoother.

Regards, Anke

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:36 pm »
Great video  - had to smile at the dog helping .....they soon latch on to the bottle, after that initial struggle.  Look cute in their box, but I bet they will soon be wanting to come out of there!!  I remember bottle feeding my very first goat kid, over 30 years ago.  She was so energetic she kept pulling the teats off.  I remember being so worried, that she had swallowed them.  You can imagine my relief when I found them in the straw bed!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »
We are keeping them both to begin with, one has a home to go to (a neighbour who got 2 castrates from us 2 years ago) once he is a bit older, and when (hopefully) we have other kids to keep Carrick company. We will keep Carrick until the Autumn anyway, and use him on our AOV milker Romily so we get some offspring. Needless to say they have a bigger cardboard box now, and are already getting out to the shed most of the time. I need to make them a pen tomorrow.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS