Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stable door  (Read 2780 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
stable door
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:38 am »
we have just moved milly and molly into their new shed last night
where they will now be sleeping.
this shed only has half a stable door.
im really trying to explain this well
e.g.you know how horse stables have the doors that are split into two, top and bottom bits?
well this shed only has the bottom part which comes half way.
is this enough to keep cold out. they have plenty of straw for bedding.
new roof was put on meaning any draughts have been sealed up.
as said i hope i have explained myself well.
will app your replys, if you want me to explain it again please ask, as i really want to know your thoughts on this.
langdon ;) :goat:    happy valentines day :bouquet: 
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: stable door
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:28:38 am »
I think it depends on where the shed is situated and where the prevailing wind comes from. When it is windy and wet, we sometimes shut the top half of our stable door, as the rain blows in. Mostly I shut the door because the hay and straw is stored up there near the door, and it gets wet! As long as they don't get the rain (or snow) blowing in too much it shouldn't be too bad. In summer I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

What you could do is get some of the wind proofing fabric from the garden centre, and hang that in the gap? It means it keeps out the worse of the wind but still lets air in.

Stuff like this- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windbreak-Greenhouse-Shade-Garden-Netting-per-metre_W0QQitemZ310185752556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV?hash=item483882f7ec

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:18:49 pm »
Or you could get those damp proof course membranes and cut them into strips, or just half, and hang them on the top bit ( abit like the sort you walk through in refrigeration rooms). Provided the goats don't find them tasty, they should keep the wind out.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »
ta beth
neva thought of that, but do you think they mjght nibble at it?
beth what kind of comb do you use to groom your goats.
 ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:44:03 pm »
They might have a chew, so you might not be able to. But it might be worth trying.

Grooming, we normally use horse brushes. Like- these http://www.centralsaddlery.co.uk/product/stablemate-body-brush/ or http://www.centralsaddlery.co.uk/product/cottage-craft-large-rubber-curry-comb/

Most horse places will do a grooming "pack" which might have 3 or 4 brushes- I'd say they're quite a good buy. We have loads of brushes, as my neices if they're at a show, have to have one each!

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:48:39 pm »
thanks beth ;)
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS