Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I get Clik after hearing it didn't work last year?  (Read 6707 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Do I get Clik after hearing it didn't work last year?
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:58:04 am »
A friend of mine runs a flock of 1000 ewes and said last year the Clik didn't last and He had ewes struck after 8 weeks. I thought that Clik is a chemical that once eggs hatch stops the maggot shedding its skin so cannot get to the stage of eating!?

I've currently working 7 days a week around 12-16 hours per day depending on whats going on so I fit the sheep in around work, so I was drawn to Clik for the piece of mind that they are covered for 12 weeks.

Really don't like Crovect (Have some for emergencies) so I'd rather the Clik.

what do you all think? :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Do I get Clik after hearing it didn't work last year?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:16 am »
To be fair, i've found the same, too expensive and doesn't last as long as it says!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:03:58 am »
I think it was down to the high temperatures last year that prevented the treatments from working - and that goes for Clik and Crovect and any others, as they all have a limit of 25 degrees C I think.

If I were you I would go with Clik, and check them daily if we get a hot spell.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:26:34 am »
I found the same with all chemicals around here last year, 10 weeks for click until we had struck ewes. I have clickzined prior to shearing this time, will shear hopefully 7-8 weeks after the application  :fc: then click 2-4 weeks post shearing. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:34:05 am »
Clik has always worked well for us - it does take time to bind to the fleece and work its way through.  I apply about 4 weeks after whearing, when the fleece is around 1cm long.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:32:12 am »
I heard about crovect batch problems last year, but we found clik and cliczen worked well for us last year.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:34:55 pm »
Used CLIK since it first came out , never had a problem , use correct gun and apply right amount ,  sheep weights are consistently underestimated  !   to be fair temps over 25c doesn't happen often in the west of scotland

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:06:48 pm »
I used clik last year and had no problems.  We are in Hampshire and had scorching weather.  Ewes and lambs all lasted 15 weeks without a problem and I then gave a dose of ectofly as there wasn't any small bottles of crovect available.  never had a problem with clik and I have very wooly corriedales and romneys in the flock.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:39 pm »
thank you everyone :) sheep are checked twice a day anyway so strike is noticed quickly :)

I will give it a go I think :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:23:47 pm »
Clik about 4 weeks after clipping, lambs are treated same day as ewes are clipped. Never had a problem. Only one treatment covers us over the summer. (But we are in Scotland)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 07:45:02 am »
I use Clik and calibrate the dose on the gun to a quarter of the recommended dose.

The first 2 spurts down the spine and the next 2 down and across the tail and bottom.
It gives a better coverage and you don't over dose if you miss to treat with just 1 dose
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:43 am »
Keep an eye on shoulders too.  I'm dagging all ours prior to clickzen, and will take a strip out down the shoulder too. We ve gone with the shorter acting one for ewes as it times with the shearer. He won't touch a crovected/clicked sheep in July
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:31:16 am by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:28:02 am »
When we spray we go down spine, across shoulder and down tail and haunches

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 08:43:17 pm »
I used vetrazine for 10yrs no problems ,now clik and had no problems. I personally won't use any of the sprays that only work where they are sprayed and are not fleece bind. Despite the length of time they say it works for, I still keep a close eye as do most of us I think. :sunshine:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:13 pm »
I've only ever had to reClik in a year when it's been a really wet summer, otherwise it lasts until the flies die off in the Autumn around here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS