Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming pet lambs  (Read 2713 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Worming pet lambs
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
Hi folks,
I have 4 pet lambs which are now 9 weeks old. I want to worm them and treat for flies. Last year I took them back to the farm to be treated when he was doing his, but as we.ve just received pigs I'm on a standstill. Does anyone know where I can buy wormer to treat a very small amount of lambs? I looked online but can only seem to buy an amount to treat 100's - and its very expensive.

Any advice??

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Worming pet lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »
My advise would be, get a feacal egg coutdone!! A bit of poo from each lamb, fresh, as they drop it, put in individual bags and ask your get to do a feacal egg count. Then when you are given the result IF they need wormigthevet can advise and give you the necessary amount for your lambs. The will need o know the weight of the heaviest .
The spray for keeping low fly off is another matter, speak to theve, if he's helpful, eve if they don't have some you would buy they maybe able to put you in touch with another small producer who would share. Alternatively someone on her may be able to help. :innocent:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:23:04 pm »
Speak to your vet , may dispense small amounts or look at PANACUR , sells small amounts

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:11:55 pm »
Great advice on doing an egg count first and speaking to your vet.
Also if you let people know where in the country you are, there may be another TAS member who could help  :hug:
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:33:41 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm in South Ayrshire near Maybole. I can ask a neighbouring farmer, who I'm sure would be more than happy to help, but was hoping to be a bit more self sufficient, lol.
Will arrange a fecal count and see where we are.... Thanks.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:16:28 am »
We worm our pet lambs with combinex around this time of year, our area is very flukey and after using it we don't seem to have any issues with fluke on livers when they are slaughtered in the autumn.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:35:48 am »
Fec,  discus with vet way forward, then you ve got a choice of fly sprays.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS