Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fingers crossed for Tyler  (Read 6366 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Fingers crossed for Tyler
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:59 pm »
One of our dogs started to have  fits when he was around two years old.  No obvious reason, he just had one, and then another a few weeks later, and gradually they increased to more regular.  The vet said they were not happening enough to go on medication.  To be honest, I was not keen at all on giving him drugs.  He has GSD x labrador in his breeding, and after reading up on it, I could see this breed was prone to  fits. 

Tyler is now 6 and the fits were getting really bad.  He could have 10, maybe 15 in one night, and then none for weeks, or he could have a couple for three nights on the run.  Also he would appear to lose his sight, and be confused after these fits. It was not doing us any good either, having to be up all night, with him banging into things.

A friend suggested we put him on a feed with no additives or wheat etc. in, so he has been on Iams and James Wellbeloved dried food for about three weeks.  Costing us a fortune, so the other dogs are on their normal stuff.

But its worth the money, because Tyler has not had one fit at all.  Not to say he won't, but we will see.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fingers crossed for Tyler
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »
Could well have been a food allergy,in which case he will stay well, but I have to be honest symptomatically it sounds like epilepsy.  Usually start fitting at 2 years, usually when at rest, no obvious pattern to fits.  I really, really hope I'm wrong.  Good luck, Tyler!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:09 pm »
Yes, it usually is at night when he has the  fits.  We know he is about to have a fit because the other dogs go and stare at him, and then he keels over.  The good thing is, the other dogs are now so used to it, they go back to sleep and leave him be.  At first they tried to start a fight becaue they could not understand what he was doing.

To be honest, after the last episode, which was really bad, we were up most of the night with him, and he was confused for two days afterwards, and went hyper active.  We were on the verge of having him pts.  But I am willing to give the food a go, and see how he goes.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »
if the food change at least keeps him well for a short time, then go for it!  Poor Tyler it must be so frightening for him.... amd you
Little Blue

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »
Another thing I would suggest to help is to clean the dogs ears out with drops. This can and does help prevent seizures.

My rescue golden was diagnosed with Horners syndrome and has had grand mal seizures twice yearly from when he was a youngster according to his previous owners he only ever had 2 with us after we cleaned out his ears. There was years of rubbish in both ears and after it was cleaned out there was no Horners syndrome and no seizures.  ;D

Our vet was amazed but 'us' breeders know a thing or two.  ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »
I hope it continues working Roxy.  Good luck to you both.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
Another thing I would suggest to help is to clean the dogs ears out with drops. This can and does help prevent seizures.

My rescue golden was diagnosed with Horners syndrome and has had grand mal seizures twice yearly from when he was a youngster according to his previous owners he only ever had 2 with us after we cleaned out his ears. There was years of rubbish in both ears and after it was cleaned out there was no Horners syndrome and no seizures.  ;D

Our vet was amazed but 'us' breeders know a thing or two.  ;)
Do you use Synulux or something else, Jackie?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »
on the diet subject, about 4 yrs ago we took a giant schnauzer on out of a local rescue, he had terrible runs so i set about trying to sort his diet out. At the same time my 6 yr old male cavalier had been taking fits for some time as you describle losing sight etc. I put the big fella on aurtarky and because we have a few dogs decided to put the lot on it for ease. Well all i can say is it cured the big fellas guts but more to the point after about 6 wks on it joe the ckcs never had another fit. ??? Dont ask me why could it have been the lack of gluten, I now feed all our dogs on it we have 4 jack russells, 1 german pointer, the giant and also a puppy gsd, it suits them all. And its not that expensive, also i add tripe to it.

Laura

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:22:50 pm »
Never thought about his ears, mainly because I have never had cause to worry, ie.  he does not scratch or hold his head to one side.  But I will clean them now.

Acorn zwartbles, so pleased that the change of diet worked for your dogs

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:41:40 am »
This is just the age that epilepsy starts in dogs. I can't recommend anything that your vet. can't. We had a Border Collie a few years ago that started having fits at twenty two months old and nothing could help him. I had to, very reluctantly and for his sake, have him put to sleep the day after his second birthday.
They still haven't got this sorted in humans yet :'(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »
So far so good.  Tyler has not had any fits at all since going on the different food. Thats not to say he won't of course, but things have definitely quietned down at night, and we are not being wakened by him thrashing around.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »
good! at least a break from fits will do you all good..
Little Blue

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »
I tend not to use synlulux unless Im feeling particularly friendly with my vet and wish to donate to his new Range Rover fund. ;D

Any ear cleaner Annie will do. At the moment I have Otodex in the dog cupboard.  I have been known to soften the rubbish with warm olive oil prior (for 3 days twice per day) to putting in the drops.  ;)

Once my dad said he was going deaf in is left ear so I shoved in Otodex for 3 days running, he could hear after the rubbish came out.  ;D

Oh for the people who dont know, sometimes when you add cleaner to a dogs ears he/she gets dizzy/disorientated (and deaf) and can become clumsy, I do suggest you finish cleaning 1 ear before you start on the other, dont do them at the same time.

Ok Ive had to modify this post because unless you know what you are doing with the dogs ears then problems could occur.

How to clean a dogs ears.

Lie the dog down with the ear you wish to clean uppermost, trust me its easier. Dont kneel down by his back legs or he will use your body and his back legs to try to get up, kneel into space of his tummy area.

Add the above cleaner with a dropper, 4 or 5 drops should do each time.

Hold the dogs head still (pin to the floor) so the drops actually travel down the ear canal. Hold for approx 5 mins, then give his ear a good rub as its itchy, then release the dog he will then stand and shake his head, beware of splashes.

Repeat the above for a few days untill you see oil and dirt in the fur underneath the ear flap then grab a wad of loo roll/cottonwool, again lie the dog down to finish the cleaning proccess. Clean ONLY where you can see into the dogs ears. Wipe firmly all the rubbish you can see untill the ear flap is cleand and dry.
DO NOT get a cotton bud and poke down the ear canal, however you can gently insert a finger and see if it comes out 'dirty'. If it does then repeat untill clean.

I hope this is a bit clearer and Im not 'teaching my Granny to suck eggs'.  ;D

Sorry I forgot  ::) The mucky fur underneath the dogs ear can be quickly cleaned using either a sponge and fairy liquid or dry cleaned with baby powder rubbed in and brushed out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:37:19 pm by Jackie »

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:31:41 pm »
dont mean to hijack the thread but... my friend has a ex-puppy-farm rescue cocker spaniel with problem ears.  The vet prescribed antibiotics for ages, then said it was a fungal infection?! 
other than dosing the poor pup with Canesten, or natural yogurt... any ideas??

thanks
Little Blue

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:26:54 pm »
You are absolutely right Little blue it is natural yogurt but not to eat.  ;D

Clean the ear using the above method then add some slightly warmed (blood temp only) yogurt to the ear (the yogurt can be made sloppier by the addition of a little milk), about 2 5ml teaspoon should do it. Leave that in for say 2 or 3 hours hours then wipe it out with cotton wool and repeat the yogurt. Do this for 3 days then clean the ear using otodex or whichever is your choice.

What we dont want to happen is that the yogurt dries up hard in the ear so if the owner sees it getting too dry then add a little more.

The dog will be deaf whilst undergoing this treatment.

Remember one ear at a time though, ooh, and hold the dogs ears back with a hair band so that the air can get in and help it heal.

Wash hands thoroughly whilst treating the infection or the owner will get it.

Feeding yogurt will also help the dogs immune system.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:32:47 pm by Jackie »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS