Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field shelter for goats  (Read 6254 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Field shelter for goats
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:30:07 am »
After much discussion with local planning officer, I am getting to put a field shelter on land for goats. It will be on skids but have no floor. I am not allowed to put down concrete base or slabs as a base. So it will  be sited on grass which won't be the warmest in the winter. Any suggestions as to what temporary flooring could be used?

I did think of pallets with rubber mats on top???

Or even just raised areas?

Don't want it to be too complicated for when it comes to cleaning it out
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Field shelter for goats
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:16:08 am »
How about paving slabs covered with straw

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:21 am »
That's what I suggested to planner but no slabs!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 08:38:44 am »
If it's on skids, do you intend to move it around? If so the need for a permanent floor is confusing.
I know nothing about the needs of goats, but I built a 5m square roofed shelter for my sheep on grass. Covered the floor with straw, and very quickly the earth was trampled down and the grass disappeared. What is there now is a hard packed, dry smooth floor that can be cleaned out and disinfected with lime very easily.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:44:20 am »
Platforms of solid pallets will keep them off the ground and out of draughts and be easy to move?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:19:58 am »
Agree with Devonlady, we put pallets in our field shelter and cover with last years hay  :thumbsup:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:41 pm »
Cheers folks, next question...

.... Anyone got solid pallets?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:00:18 pm »
After much discussion with local planning officer, I am getting to put a field shelter on land for goats. It will be on skids but have no floor. I am not allowed to put down concrete base or slabs as a base. So it will  be sited on grass which won't be the warmest in the winter. Any suggestions as to what temporary flooring could be used?

I did think of pallets with rubber mats on top???

Or even just raised areas?

Why not just put in a deep bed of straw  , add to it every week and when it's trampled /bedded down to 2 feet thick ............

Clear the doorway path so you can slide it without damaging the doorway by piling up the straw on to the main middle part of the  bedding &  pull the sledge back about six feet more than the shelter is long . Perhaps even going to purchase a cheapish Tirfor type hand puller or a decent set of 1,000 kg yachting compound pulley's & rope to do the job if moving machinery is not easily available .

At least you will have a decent supply of neatly piled manure to compost and use in your veg beds at the end of the day & the goats will love to play " King of the Castle " on it 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 02:23:40 pm »
Agree with Devonlady, we put pallets in our field shelter and cover with last years hay  :thumbsup:
I would be wary of using hay as bedding due to the possibility of fungal spores

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:24 pm »
I use rubber horse mats in my field shelters

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
Not had any 'issues' with using the hay, been healthy enough these last 14 yrs  :goat:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 10:38:58 pm »
I have my shelter and I love it, hopefully so do goats, will post photo over the werkend

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:02:08 am »
I wouldn't use pallets they make a great rat run

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS