Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly lamb  (Read 1781 times)

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
Poorly lamb
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:46:14 am »
Morning!  One of my pet lambs just isn't right.  She bloats constantly and scours along with it.  I treat this with veg oil via a tube and it sorts her out for a day or two and then it happens all over again.  Last two days, she's scouring, refusing bottles (maybe had less than 500ml yesterday), looks miserable.  No real bloat but not herself.  She's out on grass with her (milk-less) mother and the other ewes and lambs.  I gave her antibiotic on Sat just to cover her and am about to pop down to the vets to see what they say but am thinking about bringing her, sister and ewe in off the grass to try and end this bloat cycle.  Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Poorly lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:03 am »
May have an internal problem?  Be interested to know the vet's verdict.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:19 pm »
From what I read, wet dewy grass can cause bloat.   Every thing is limited bar hay and water here, never too much of anything and definitely not all at the same time.  I'd bring her down like you said you where going to, hope she get s better x

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:54:51 pm »
Thanks both.  Spoke to Vet who recommended 20mls Pen & Strep orally and 2ml Buscopan.  She wasn't too impressed with the Pen & Strep and stropped off without any milk tonight.  Couldn't get them separated and in today but will have help tomorrow. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS