Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beginners Questions  (Read 12436 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Beginners Questions
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »
Sounds exciting and I wish you well with your plans.  I reckon that John Seymour's book is worth reading for the entertainment value alone but he does have some good advice.  Just do as others say and be careful.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 11:48:39 pm »
Well it took almost 3 years and lots of trips all over Scotland before we finally settled on a property with 22 acres in Dumfries & Galloway.  I would have preferred the Highlands or Rosshire areas which I found stunning but the right combination of land and house was not easily found.  We move into the new home next week although initially I will be going back down to Cheshire whilst finishing off at work etc.

Thanks to everyone who has read my posts and passed on the excellent advice and suggestions over several subjects such as fencing and acreage etc.  Also a big thank you to Kirsty and Mark for showing us around their home and giving us a much needed insight into smallholdings.  https://www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft?fref=ts

I hope you guys are ready for an avalanche of questions now that we are finally making that dream move :-)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:53 am »
Well done that man :thumbsup: I was going to say" you will never regret it", but you surely will some wet, freezing mornings when your wellies are sucked off in the mud, your sheep/goats/cattle are where they shouldn't be and all going in different directions and your pigs are in your neighbours veg garden :o :o :o ;D ;D
Seriously though, I wish you all the success and happiness in the world. You will find all the support, help and advice you need on here and never be afraid to ask for help with your neighbouring farmers, they will give their help and advice and friendship as surely as we will. :thumbsup: :trophy: :pig: :chook: :dog: :goat: :cow: :hshoe:
                                                                                                                                                     Sylvia

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
Many thanks devonlady, much appreciate that as we battle the nerves :-)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 01:23:15 pm »
It's so good to hear that someone else has made it through the end of the beginning.  Hope all goes well with the move and you settle into a life like no other and all the better for that. Everyone here is so helpful too, you'll get great support and encouragement. Oh, and we all like to be nosey and see pictures of your particular patch of heaven in the making! Best of luck.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:35 pm »
Thanks Treud na Mara,
Pics to follow :-)

Mickey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS