Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mucky bums in my lambs  (Read 6643 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
mucky bums in my lambs
« on: May 27, 2015, 02:08:43 pm »
I have 8 ryeland lambs just over 8 weeks old.  I wormed them with Oramec 2 weeks ago when I vaccinated them with their first dose of heptavac.  All were fine but now I notice that one or two of them have very runny dirty bums.  They are not on particularly good grass.   Might it be coccidia?  Its difficult to get a sample from them as by the time I see it it has been on the ground for a while and is probably too runny to catch anyway.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: mucky bums in my lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:41:39 pm »
It could be. It could be they have just started eating grass and have gone loose! Or it could be worms. FEC?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:16 pm »
What colour is the poo?

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »
dark greeny/brownish colour

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:22:41 pm »
I'd hazard a guess that it's the grass, an fec still worth a go, pen em up give em some hay they soon poo x

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:27 pm »
I have one or two like that too. I've wormed and cocci'd but still runny. Will it do any harm if just the grass?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:02 pm »
Take a sample in you ll have a good idea then,  are you letting the lambs out early? Perhaps they're guzzling to much of the green stuff, limit em for a bit.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:34 am »
Update on the mucky bum - only one has got this others are fine but this morning one of the lambs had a white flat worm coming out.

Would this be a dead worm that is passing out from the wormer?

Do I need to reworm - it was 3 weeks ago?

Do I need a different wormer?

Or would you still say get a FEC done even though it will take quite a few days by the time the sample is sent on Monday etc etc.  I tend to panic abit when I see worms and just want to blitz all!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:25 am »
Did the worm have sections?  If so, it's probably a tapeworm.  I wouldn't have thought it would appear so long after your previous worming if it was in response to that.  Might be worth having a word with your vet.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:27:08 am »
Sounds like a tapeworm! Not a big production problem in general

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 02:15:41 pm »
Definately sounds like tape worm, on its own they say no problem but if there are enough of the so and so's they can cause extra motility ( make the gut work faster) and hence loose poo!! Because of the risk of fly strike approach ing I'd speak to the vet about an appropriate wormer if it doesn't stop.  :wave:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS