Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP! any advice on getting the smallholder number.  (Read 4165 times)

Culquha

• Joined Feb 2010
HELP! any advice on getting the smallholder number.
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:42 am »
Just bought 11 acres of grazing land and 10 acres of woodland. We would love to become smallholders but where do we begin. One peice of advice was to get the smallholder number before getting the sheep pigs etc. How complicated does a form need to be.  ???
We cant wait to get started.

Do we put the house on the smallholder number list of land or do we keep th eland we have just purchased seperate. Shall we keep th ewoodland off th esmallholder number or would it be more beneficitial to have it on th enumber. Do I make sense :-\

HELP

Di & Dennis (Scottish boarders) 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: HELP! any advice on getting the smallholder number.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:13 am »
Can't help you much on registration etc, but wanted to make you welcome!  I'm thinking of buying a piece of woodland but it all seems expensive and I don't know what costs there would be involved in maintenance.  Perhaps you have done some research prior to buying the woodland and can help me out with some info?  I'm in Central Scotland, and just have dogs, a cat, chickens and ducks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:53 am »
|Hello and welcome, I don't hae a clue either but what a great start.....I am in Clackmannan and only have CHickens and 2 Duck and of course an increasing number of Dogs...look forward to hear what you are going to do...I love woodland but I know they do take a lot of management....

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:43 am »
Hi welcome, I live in France so possibly not much help.  I have a vague idea you start with DEFRA.  I know you CANNOT have any farm animals without a herd number, (even pet pigs need one). 

If the smallholding is already registered would your local council be able to advise?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  ;D
The number, I'm assuming, is a CPH number. County Parish holding number. You'll not be able to get any livestock without it. If your land has previously been farmed in it's own right (and not as part of a larger farm) it should already have a number allocated. In scotland you need to contact your local SEERAD office who will be able to help you, the number should apply to ALL your land, not just the grazing (cos in theory you could have pigs forraging in your woodland ;)) Then you'll need to contact your local animal health office to register for your herd numbers - for whatever animals you choose to have (but not needed for chickens - i think). There is an animal health office in Galashiels, their number is 01896 758806
Hope this helps, look forward to hearing more from you
Karen x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:26:34 pm »

Hello from me in the Scottish Borders too. Happy Hippy has given you the Gala number, they are very helpfull cos like you I hadn't a clue where to start with the paperwork.
Personally I would have all land on CPH cos you may want to graze pigs in woodland especially when you see the mess they make everywhere else.
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Culquha

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »
Thank you everyone that left a message. The form has been filled in and 'My Main Man' is taking into Dumfries to have it checked over. So much to do and so little time to do it in!!

The woodland is fantastic and we may just leave it for a while, although a chap in the village has shown an interest for a couple of pigs. Part of the land floods so we may take control and make a pond for the ducks and geese.  :&>

Thanks again, just off to the forum for growing veg, to get some ideas.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:43 am »
Hi welcome from NW Leicestershire. CPH is easy just give Defra a call and they will sort it for you. Think I had to speak to animal health too but no forms just a few calls. Good luck!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »
Hi from Staffordshire...getting your CPH is only the start...please visit the DEFRA website and read up on what you need to do to move, keep and register the sort of animals you decide to have...any problems, queries, just post on here; people are always happy to help...good luck

Farmer,  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS