Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to manage 4 acres....  (Read 3984 times)

Bobs wife Morag

• Joined May 2015
Best way to manage 4 acres....
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »
That has to much grass and lots of weeds (docks, nettles, buttercups etc).

I have split the field in 2 and the top quarter of the half my lad (Clydesdale) is in is being slowly strip grazed (not ideal as the grass and weeds are growing expotentially!)

Anyway I'm completely overwhelmed at the min as to what is the best way to control the grass hieght and weeds (would rather not use weed killers at present). I don't seem to be able to see the wood for the trees as it were  :thinking:

The grass (top 1/3 of the one side is getting knee high) obviously getting out of hand with docks mixed in which I am attacking with a brushcutter, but not making much headway.

Haven't been able to get anyone to top it yet, so have been considering buying a flail toper and quad or use the mower behind the 4x4.
I have never used a flail mower before but have been assured so long as the horse is kept off till the chopped grass is dried it would be safe.  :fc:
Not sure if I did that to get on top of the individual paddocks, how often I would have to keep topping with the mower to keep control of growth and if this would work or not?

Adding more grazing animals is not an option at the moment.

Sad when you think I'm a farmers daughter and am struggling to come up with an effective plan  ???

So any and all suggestions and advice welcome...be gentle please  ;D

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Best way to manage 4 acres....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »
Depends on your long term aims and how flat or not the ground is . You say adding more amimals is not an option is this money or lack of fences   ,since for the price of  an atv  plus flail you could buy  a lot of sheep and if poor fences then this is why you can't let other peoples sheep graze it ??    NO chance of making hay on a portion of the  ground ?    The flail option is easy so long as the engine works ( they seem fairly  good ) all you have to do is drive   , if the grass is very long you may need several passes at different heights

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »
Repeated topping will clear docks and nettles over time - they're deep-rooted, so you have to keep at it as the leaves show, so that eventually the roots are starved.  If you let green leaves linger in sunlight, they'll make food and feed the roots ;).

Buttercups, however, may be a different story.  If it's creeping buttercup then topping doesn't seem to do the job - and neither will grazing.  Watching what folks around here do, no amount of ploughing, reseeding and so on will keep them at bay. I've read that liming will get rid, but at least one of my neighbours does this too, to no avail.  We think we've beaten them in one field, but that's down to pigs' rootling, which I guess isn't an option for you.

Horses seem to make creeping buttercup worse, btw.   ::)

Good luck!  And let us know what you try and how you get on!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:48:30 pm »
I would leave the grass long as it will be better for the Clydie. mine used to love knee deep grass. There is a cd of a book you used to be able to get through bitless bridle site ( not sure if it's still available) written by Gary Holter ' grassland management for all - the medieval pasture system' that strongly recommends leaving the grass to grow long.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bobs wife Morag

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:02:52 pm »
Thank you all for the replies!  :thumbsup:

Shep53 as we have only just rented this field,the expenditure we have had upto now to make it good for the 'wee man' is all the money we wish to invest on permanent items I.e sheep proof fencing, in the field for now. Hubby is happy to expend on equipment we can take with us or resell if something goes wrong, if you know what I mean.

The ground is slightly sloping on one part of the field, for this year hay is not an option hopefully next year we can get ready to do that!!

SallyintNorth good to know about the repeated topping, as for buttercups they have been the bane of my life in the past!

Will definately keep you all updated on what we try and how it goes.

Clydesdaleclopper thanks for the rec on the book I will look into that sounds interesting!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:11:21 pm »
I believe geese will eat buttercups. You could just use some moveable electric poultry netting to contain them
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »
I got geese specifically to eat buttercups.  They didn't. I suppose they might if there is nothing else to eat though.

I had my horses on what I can only describe as "standing hay" for the first part of last winter.  They did very well on it.  The field ended up looking fairly rough, with straggly dried grass patches until it was all eaten off, but now looks great again and is ready to grow on for proper hay.

Maybe a petrol strimmer could control the worst of the docks and longer weeds?  Can't help on buttercups beyond long term improving drainage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS