Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock Fencing Against a Hedge  (Read 4714 times)

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
Stock Fencing Against a Hedge
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
Hi,

I'm planning on installing some stock fencing this year in the field.  The field already has some pretty good hedging that has barb running through it as well. I was wondering whether the stock fencing needs to be as close to the hedge as possible, or do people leave a working gap to all access to the hedge for trimming or other maintenance?

Thanks.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Stock Fencing Against a Hedge
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:18:25 am »
Up to you really but if you do leave a gap, make sure it's big enough. It won't get grazed so you'll have to get in there if you want to sort brambles etc. If it's tight to the hedge and you have stock they will keep it upright at least but cattle / horses may also try to lean over to grab stuff on top which may not be ideal.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:08 am »
I hate barbed wire - evil stuff.  First thing we did here was to remove it all.

We planted our hedges from fresh, so slightly different situation.  We put a double fence a couple of metres apart, with the hedge down the middle.  Cattle on the far side, so had to put in a high extra strand of tensioned wire (on taller stobs) to stop the cattle jumping in (huge cows flicking up their heels and hopping over - quite funny except for what they did to the hedge).  But with an established hedge that wouldn't be a problem.  If you maintain your hedge by laying then you will need to be able to get at it periodically to do the work, that or remove the fence temporarily.  If you are trimming using mechanical means then you don't really need so much space.  We have sheep on our side and they keep the sides trimmed to just above the top of the wire (they stand on their back legs and stretch up a surprisingly long way).  For the hedges we trim, we work above that line, but those we lay are more of a problem for access.
If your hedge is big and bushy then having the fence up against it wouldn't be a problem - the sides would be trimmed by your animals, the top would stay big and bushy.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:23 am »
Thanks - think we will get it up close to the hedge as possible.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 01:53:59 pm »
If you get the hedge laid first then it will both thicken up and not need redoing for around 15 years, depending on what part of the country you're in.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
We've been stock fencing today, as close to hedge as possible and run a strand of barbed wire along top of posts to stop cattle rubbing.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »
Or keep it wide of the hedge trunks so your goats can't kill it debarking it.
My neighbour calls mine giraffes after he caught them debarking the hedge he's laid and fenced for me.  I'd told him twice the distance he thought right.

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 12:57:58 am »
A previous owner put up a wire fence 2 metres from the dry stone walls / hedges.  The area between the two is now full of fallen branches from the trees,  brambles,  ferns and is a haven for rabbits.

If I was replacing it I'd put the fence right up to the hedge.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS