Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Next problem - what a pain I am!!  (Read 5428 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Next problem - what a pain I am!!
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:14:16 pm »
Sorry but is there anyone in the mayenne area that knows how to butcher pigs please- we have to go and pick our carcasses up on saturday and really need someone for then if it is possible.

Thanks

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Next problem - what a pain I am!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:04 pm »
Chickens - I posted this site a few weeks ago, and I think it is quite informative if you have nothing else.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

It charts the animals and shows the cuts.

Hopefully you will find a butcher, try your local one, he may be willing to do it for you.

Failing that, at the very least you will need a hacksaw with new blade, a large sharp knife and a smaller one to cut nearer the bone.  Never try to use your knife on a bone - stop cutting and change to the saw. You will need to keep your blades sharpe throughout the process.

Be very very careful of your fingers. It can be done, John ended up doing one of ours because the butcher misunderstood. It took the best part of the day and he was tired out, but he did a good job.

Make sure you have plenty of light and do it in a cool place and be mindful of flies, they could cause you a disaster.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Not sure of distance, but we have the river cottage meat book and 'pig in a day' dvd that you would be welcome to borrow for the weekend?

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:24 pm »
Kate thanks you are very kind - the trouble is we have two pigs to cut - do you think we can do most of it in a day if two of us try?
We are about an hour from you I think - Mr Ree has kindly offered us the dvd and knives but a hacksaw we haven't got - what sort should we try and find?

Thanks again

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:33:58 am »
If you can get a hacksaw with a blade as long as possible. As I said in another thread if you need any help I am only a phonecall away but unfortunately to far away to come round and butcher for you. I hope it all works out for you.
Andrew

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:10 am »
As Andrew says, a hacksaw with a blade as long as you can get it.

Two pigs will be hard going. Without sounding feable, and letting the side down, do you have a male friend who could help your husband? 1. for a first time novice, it will be very tiring and 2. you will need to be available to bag it up as you go, otherwise you will be in real trouble with the flies possibly, temperature and just sheer exhaustion at the end.

Have you tried a local butcher?  Find the time today - ring around or visit your local.  A qualified butcher would get through it in no time.

Would the abatoir butcher it for you?  I has to be worth asking them I think.

Not being much help, distance is always a problem when someone needs help - so sorry we are not nearer.  We live at Tirepied just outside of Brecey - we are here if we can help.

Kate  :pig:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 08:16:19 am »
Post on Anglo Info for your area ask if anyone can help butcher a pig. 

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:20:54 pm »
Thanks again for your advice and support.  Apparantly the french man turned up again today to see if we wanted him to cut up the pigs so we will phone him later although its not sure he can do it as it will be on saturday or monday and of course he may be booked already.

Really not sure about the cost of butchery as the abbattoir charges 1.50 to 2€ per kilo, all we want is the pig cut as we will make our own sausages etc - has anyone any ideas of cost?

Thanks again

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 04:00:25 pm »
The going rate down here is around 30 euros per pig plus fuel costs.  I always offer the butcher something in the way of a "tip"  normally the liver which he loves.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
Thanks Hilarys mum - he will not commit himself to a price but said it would definitely be cheaper than the original 90€ each he quoted for our pigs to be killed and cut up.  I tried to get a price out of him but he said we would sort it on monday, he asked me the costs for the abattoir.  He was very interested in two of our nain goats and we had already discussed 60€ for them - so I said if you still want the goats we can work something out on the price and he said yes we will sort it out on monday.  I can't afford to lose him as we need someone to cut them up this time so I am hoping that if I give him the goats I will only have to pay him around 40€ on top.  Fingers crossed..............

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS