Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worms  (Read 3392 times)

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
worms
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »
What are the indicators that out chickens have worms? We suspect at least one of ours might have worms, and would welcome some advice.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: worms
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »
if they have a really bad burden you will see them in there poo. just treat them if they get to a stage that you can tell then they are bad.

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:12 pm »
Thanks for your advice. We have 12 chickens, one of which has a messy bum and we think runny poo too. Do you think its a good idea to treat them for worms?

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »
sometimes you might see them stretching their neck and gaping e.g.
opening their mouths as they stretch their necks.
i use verm-x for worming its a natural product which i use once a month.
you just add it to their feed.
hope you find a solution,
let me know how you and your chucks get on.
langdon ;) :chook:
Langdon ;)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:18 am »
i would probably use fluvenvet this time andthen go onto verm-x. put a lttle cider viniger in there water too will help. what colour is the poo and how old are the chucks. it maybe some thing else. also to be on the safe side just have a very close look at the chicken with the mucky bum. check for lice. a heavy infestation will result in lots of eggs on the feathers which look a bit like poo.

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:26 am »
what do you all think about garlic powder as a wormer for all animals....I have heard good reports but also read that it can be toxic to dogs but others used for years with no problems.  Wondering what the general opinion is???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:56:58 am »
Don't know about garlic powder but there are garlic tablets for dogs so i can't see how it is poisonous.

Oh, forgot to say on your intro post - welcome to the forum. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:37:37 pm »
Addressing concerns about garlic

I have personally never had a problem with any type of adverse reaction due to administering garlic to my own animals, but people have asked me if this is a issue they should be concerned about, so I present my findings here:

Although toxic side effects from the consumption of garlic are is quite rare in animals as well as humans, the possibility of harming with garlic dose exist (just as the possibility of harming with any herb, supplement or drug). The root of the controversy over garlic is a dangerous misconception: the belief that more garlic is always better. Moderation is the cardinal rule of all herb use, and this applies strictly to garlic, particularly when used in cats. When misused (used excessively over an extended period) garlic may cause a disease known as Heinz-body anemia. This disease is easily prevented with common sense and a few precautions.

Do not give garlic to animals with preexisting anemic conditions.
Puppies begin reproducing new red blood cells until after 6 to 8 weeks of age, so do not give garlic to young puppies.
The possibility of Heinz-body anemia is dose dependent, meaning the more garlic fed, the greater the chances of a problem developing. Most recorded instances of Heinz-body anemia in animals involve the ingestion of large quantities of onions and other garlic relatives, many of which contain much larger percentages of enzyme-depleting constituents than a typical dose of garlic. Recorded cases of allium poisoning typically involve onion doses exceeding 0.5 percent of the animals' body weight. This means that a healthy 60-pound dog (goat) would have to eat a whole 5-ounce onion, or several cloves of garlic, just to start the Heinz-body process. Since red blood cells are regenerated quickly, this large dose would have to be repeated several times on a frequent basis to cause permanent harm.
Cats are more sensitive to the side effects of garlic, so they require more caution and attention with its use. Watch for digestive upset and behavioral changes, and if your cat simply doesn't want any garlic, don't force him. Animals know their needs better then we do.
In defense of garlic, be aware that several other foods can cause Heinz-body anemia as well; large amounts of turnips, kale, rape, or anything rich in vitamin K may lead to the disorder.

In conclusion, remember, that just like humans, no two animals are exactly the same: what is fine for one, could be detrimental to the another. Before using garlic in a therapeutic way, make sure you know your own animals. Small doses of garlic added to an animals diet is probably going to be of more benefit than harm. But just remember: don't overdo it. Use common scene and moderation and to have respect for garlic, as you should with all herbs.

its probably ok but there are safe treatments out there.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »
I've heard about using garlic to repel fleas, and like Annie says there are also garlic tablets so I suppose it is a case of dosage. Not too sure about it's efficiency as a wormer, though.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »
As luck would have it, one of my chickens also has a messy bum  :-\ Noticed it earlier when I was giving them some mash. She'd actually got masses of yellow poo stuck to her bottom, and although she seemed okay within herself, I picked her up and gave her bottom a hosing. She's NOT happy with me, but I think it's time for some Verm-x for my lot as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS