Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I know it's been done before but...  (Read 2676015 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: I know it's been done before but...
« Reply #18015 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »
curry

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18016 on: October 01, 2018, 09:07:39 pm »
Madras

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18017 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:35 am »
Madras to college  ???

Hot

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18018 on: October 02, 2018, 06:30:12 am »
Ooops !

Hot

Gossip

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18019 on: October 02, 2018, 07:14:36 am »
If someone lived on curries whilst at college/madras is an easy jump.

Rumour

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #18020 on: October 02, 2018, 01:29:45 pm »
Mill

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18021 on: October 02, 2018, 03:30:42 pm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18022 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:42 pm »
Madras to college  ???

Hot

Madras College is a well known landmark in St Andrews.  Madras College takes its name from the system of education devised by the school's founder the Rev Dr Andrew Bell. He was born in St Andrews in 1753, the son of a local magistrate and wig-maker. He studied at the University where he distinguished himself in mathematics. He became a clergyman of the Church of England and took up an appointment as chaplain to the regiments of the East India Company in Madras. One of his duties was to educate the soldiers' children. Because there was a shortage of teachers, he used the older boys, who had been taught the lesson by the master, to instruct groups of younger pupils. The pupils who assisted the teacher were called 'monitors'. This method of education became widely used in schools at home and abroad. After his return from India, Dr Bell made it his life's work to travel the country and encourage schools to adopt 'the Madras system', as it had come to be known. By the time of his death in 1832, over 10,000 schools were using his methods.  To make sure that his educational ideas would be preserved for the future, he made arrangements for the fortune his success had brought him to be used to found a school in his native town of St Andrews. By selling some land he owned he was also able to give money to the neighbouring town of Cupar so that in the end he founded two schools. One is the present Bell Baxter High School in Cupar which was originally called Madras Academy. The other is Madras College in St Andrews. The senior part of the school is still on the original site in South Street where the modern school has grown up behind the impressive 1833 quadrangle.http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4359524978_8a9e75d530_b.jpg

Which just goes to show that we should always accept, and play on with, whatever anyone types ;)

But I do like to get the explanation if it wasn’t immediately apparent!

Shop

Front
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #18023 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
up

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18024 on: October 02, 2018, 07:11:54 pm »
Madras to college  ???

Hot

Madras College is a well known landmark in St Andrews.  Madras College takes its name from the system of education devised by the school's founder the Rev Dr Andrew Bell. He was born in St Andrews in 1753, the son of a local magistrate and wig-maker. He studied at the University where he distinguished himself in mathematics. He became a clergyman of the Church of England and took up an appointment as chaplain to the regiments of the East India Company in Madras. One of his duties was to educate the soldiers' children. Because there was a shortage of teachers, he used the older boys, who had been taught the lesson by the master, to instruct groups of younger pupils. The pupils who assisted the teacher were called 'monitors'. This method of education became widely used in schools at home and abroad. After his return from India, Dr Bell made it his life's work to travel the country and encourage schools to adopt 'the Madras system', as it had come to be known. By the time of his death in 1832, over 10,000 schools were using his methods.  To make sure that his educational ideas would be preserved for the future, he made arrangements for the fortune his success had brought him to be used to found a school in his native town of St Andrews. By selling some land he owned he was also able to give money to the neighbouring town of Cupar so that in the end he founded two schools. One is the present Bell Baxter High School in Cupar which was originally called Madras Academy. The other is Madras College in St Andrews. The senior part of the school is still on the original site in South Street where the modern school has grown up behind the impressive 1833 quadrangle.http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4359524978_8a9e75d530_b.jpg

Which just goes to show that we should always accept, and play on with, whatever anyone types ;)

But I do like to get the explanation if it wasn’t immediately apparent!

Shop

Front

Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of it so hence the confusion.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18025 on: October 02, 2018, 07:57:03 pm »
"up"

Ascend

Doing what I do best , creating chaos and confusion

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18026 on: October 03, 2018, 07:36:41 am »
Ladder

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #18027 on: October 03, 2018, 08:47:33 am »
Loft

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18028 on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:11 am »
Wain

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18029 on: October 03, 2018, 12:13:10 pm »
Wright
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS