NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Electric cooker  (Read 60 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Electric cooker
« on: Today at 06:13:32 am »
What's the most energy efficient electric cooker these days?  Oven and hob.

I need a better back up for when my rayburn flue is playing silly and the few weeks each summer when it's too hot to light it.
At the moment I have a mini cooker with solid hobs which take forever to heat up then burn everything, each time I use it I swear it's the last time.
Voss Electric Fence

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Electric cooker
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:36:32 am »
Watching as I'm same boat.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:47:42 am »
Watching with interest - hopefully doing up my kitchen after only 14 years of living here (the kitchen was on it's last legs when we moved in...) trying to future proof the house to enable us to live here past the age and ability to feed our two wood burners...

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:41 am »
Induction hob is most efficient - as it heats the pan itself. if you're simmering something on a low heat you can even wrap a cloth around the pan to keep the heat in ( though i don't recommend you do that as it could get very hot if the pan boils dry).

They do require ferrous metal pans though: iron,  steel, magnetic stainless; they won't work with non-magnetic stainless, copper, etc.

For ovens i guess a fan oven would be best - though the amount of insulation in the walls of the oven  may be more relevant.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:20:20 am »
We've got induction hob as well. And we are very happy with it.
I wanted to put a wood fired stove/oven as well forbwinter use - but that Will have to wait...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:58:34 am »
Induction is great for fast heat.  But the ones we’ve had - including commercial Lincat ones - are useless at long slow heat.  They burn everything.  And beep incessantly  :rant:  and have horribly noisy fans.   >:(

So think about what you want to cook before deciding on what device or devices you need.

If there’s two of you and you like stews, what about a crock pot.  If roasts, grills and bakes, how about a Remoska.  (Does good stews too.). Flash fry - well then I’d agree, the induction hob, but you may need to change your pans.  Or a gas hob; modern ones are much more controllable than they used to be, down to very low heat.  They’re always more of a faff to clean, though, if you get a spill.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:22:15 pm »
Our induction hob is perfect for both quick and slow.
And the fan - you can get very quiet ones! It's what you prefer and what your budget is!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:02:41 pm »
Thank you for the info, it gives me a starting point for further investigations.
I'm very happy with the way I cook on my woodburning rayburn, just need a back up.I tend to put a piece of meat in to slow cook for the day then prepare veg, mix bread dough and rev up the fire to heat the water and cook dinner in the late afternoon in between feeding animals etc.I don't want to spend ages over cooking and things like mince which most people think is quick I find a pita as I have to stand and watch it.  I like things I can leave to cook themselves.

Cooker

Started by rikkib

Replies: 0
Views: 623
Last post February 26, 2013, 12:21:40 pm
by rikkib
slow cooker help

Started by daddymatty82

Replies: 4
Views: 1492
Last post September 28, 2011, 08:28:51 am
by Sylvia
range cooker wanted

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 23
Views: 6546
Last post January 04, 2011, 01:55:46 pm
by OhLaLa
I've only been and bought my wife Karen a new cooker!

Started by Bodger

Replies: 7
Views: 1638
Last post October 27, 2013, 08:25:53 am
by Ina
Aldi - Thermo Pot cooker Cook Pots

Started by darkbrowneggs

Replies: 5
Views: 2110
Last post September 05, 2013, 09:31:30 am
by darkbrowneggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS