Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Protecting brassicas...  (Read 8630 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Protecting brassicas...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:58:06 pm »
We use those hoops too, but for the black mesh I keep it up off the crop by dotting canes around the area to be covered, with old tennis balls pushed onto them.  Upended flower pots don't work as they blow off, cane eye protectors don't work as the hole size in the mesh allows them to poke through, and I can't afford 'build-a-balls'.

Empty pop bottles put over the ends of the canes work quite well .. I covered both our front & rear  newly hand sown lawns with 1/2" mesh netting over such devices to keep the birds cats dogs & my daughter of till the grass got to a good three inches long .

In the past  I've even  purchased a whole tray of the smaller 250 ml bottles  and poured the Rola Cola ( vile stuff )  away just to get enough bottles for the protector caps.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 12:10:31 am »
I have a mesh tunnel over some spring brassicas and yesterday watched a large fly trying to get OUT.

Is it possible it hatched from somewhere in the tunnel?

I had diamond mesh last year, and it was quite frustrating watching the butterfly's fluttering around inside trying to get out...

A cage might work. The trouble with mesh is that the plants grow and start touching it. I've had cabbage whites laying on brassicas through the mesh.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 07:12:18 am »
If making up ecover spray then add a little cooking oil to the mix - it'll be emulsified and help clog insect spiracles.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS