Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raising 2 weaners, Advice please...  (Read 2655 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Raising 2 weaners, Advice please...
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:43:00 pm »
How much space is ideal for 2 weaners reared for 6 months and what what quantities should I be feeding them?
thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Raising 2 weaners, Advice please...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:02:15 pm »
Space -pretty much what you want to give them. We have an area about 15m x 20m which we use as our pig paddock - we generally raise 3 or 4 weaners, starting off with a smaller area and then increasing the range over the time. Essentially the smaller the area the more it will get trashed.... :roflanim:
Feeding wise - the rule of thumb is 1 lb hard feed for each month of age - generally divided for feeding in 2 lots each day. IE a 2 month old weaner will get 2lbs food a day.
Caveat - some people feel that the max amount to feed is about 5 lbs a day otherwise they can run to fat (depends on space/breed/other food they can forage)
Enjoy!

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:52 am »
Ok, thanks for the advice.
Is there any other food apart from pig pellets I can feed them? Maybe potatoes bought from a wholesaler or hay??
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:22:11 am »
Pigs need pellets. You can supplement the pellets with vegetables but nothing from your kitchen. Hay is not pig feed. If you have a veggie plot they will love anything spare. Pound for pound you need a lot more vegetables than pellets.

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:10:59 am »
Sorry to hi-jack, but do you need to feed veg or can they thrive on pellets alone?
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »
Pellets alone is fine as it provides a properly balanced diet

I always feed mostly pellets but I've been working on the principle that you can swap some of the pellets at a ratio of about 4:1 - i.e. 1 kg of pellets can be replaced by 4 kg of fruit/veg

Some veg may not be suitable though so be cautious but a good mixture with not too much of any one thing should be okay - for example I've read that parsnips may cause ulcers or pregnancy problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS