Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alpaca Sale at Carlisle 4.5.15  (Read 3519 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
Alpaca Sale at Carlisle 4.5.15
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:13:29 am »
Unfortunately due to car problems I did not get to the auction. Did anyone go and what were the prices like?

cheers

David

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Alpaca Sale at Carlisle 4.5.15
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:26:06 am »
Hi,
I was there, but  didn't  stay for long I just saw the first part of the dispersal sale, I had to leave or I would have bought some, and my partner warned me not to come home with any.
Prices were so low, for the dispersal females which were aged from about 1 year to 12 years old started at £150 with the majority in about the £240 mark and the top price was £900. As I said I had to leave because I think they would of had trouble selling the males, and suspect that there would be many that would not even get a bid!
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:46 am »
Cheers Sue,

That's what I suspected it would be like. I'd be really interested in what the males did.

I went last year - less in and the prices for the females sound about the same. Some intact males were about the £90 mark or so. It go me thinking that alpacas have reached saturation point and consequently, unless superb fleece / genetics, this is about the right price level. I'm struggling to see how you can make a viable business on fleece alone and understand that there is great reluctance from breeders / breed association for them entering the food chain. However, at this level it looks to me that you could be adding meat / joints / sausages to the mix along with skin sales - anyone doing this up north?

Cheers

David

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:51:39 am »
Wonder if they were TB tested. , . . . . .doubt it somehow!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »
There is no TB test for alpaca, as far as I know.  They can carry it, and can pass it to humans, but as yet there's no reliable test.  :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS