Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shredders. any manual option?.  (Read 2702 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
shredders. any manual option?.
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:06 pm »
hi,
i am thinking about compost (usually!) and was wondering about the benefits of shredding the material prior to composting. i do not have mains electricity, but do have 12V or lots of energy and enthusiasm for a manual option oh yes and not lots of money for a petrol version.

is there an old machine that chops vegetable matter, like a beet crusher where you turn a handle and the beets are drawn in to an evil version of a spong mincer or has anyone made a super gismo to chop stuff.

or would you just say dont bother it aint worth the worry. the compost just takes a bit longer to decompose fully.

or have you found elec ones are adequate for serious use?

any experiences ?

thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: shredders. any manual option?.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
Where on earth are you that you don't have mains leccy?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:37:46 am »
If you have a lawn mower you can always just run it over smaller stuff..... I wouldn't reccommend using one over things like turnips tho or anything that would throw large bits out in case they hit you... or the greenhouse
 any small branches too thick to compost are great for lighting fires anyway
Ian

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »
We've got one of these,mainly for chopping veg for the pigs and apples for the press......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »
lol
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS