Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our First Two Saddlebacks  (Read 4012 times)

Martin & Catherine

• Joined Jan 2010
Our First Two Saddlebacks
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:23 pm »
Well we have just got our first two Saddlebacks back from the abattoir and have to admit that i am a little disappointed. There is a lot of fat on the meat which is our fault and lessons learned. We should have taken them to slaughter before Xmas but decided to leave them a little bit longer. I now know this was a mistake
but we are not discouraged.

However Egton Abbatoir have been absolutely brilliant. They have shown how to cure and hang the hams and have provided a first rate service. As my wife and I are newbies to pigs this has been a great learning lesson and we look forward to getting more pigs in the future. This is the first time we have used Egton Abbatoir and can thoroughly recommend them. They have excellent advice and experience to offer and gave is that comfortable feeling of support especially being newbies.

Regards to all

Martin & Catherine

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Our First Two Saddlebacks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »
Dont be disappointed with the fat, it adds to the flavour.  Excess can be rendered down for lard, perfect for home grown pork pies and so many other things.  Plus bacon with fat crisped is just gorgeous.  I am sure your first roast will be a whole new taste experience.  If you are like me and an unhealthy eater you can even cook the spuds in the fat from the roast.  Now my mouth is watering .... 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »
Don't worry I made the same mistake with my first two pigs last year. I had an idea that they were getting too fat but we had planned to take them to the abattoir during our holiday not knowing that all private kills are taken in on a Sunday, they should have went the month before. I now know to judge them by look and feel so a lesson learnt. Meat is wonderful.  :pig:

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:51:47 pm »
we are new to pig keeping too!!!!
at the mo we have three british saddlebacks, which they too are going
on the table.
we are aiming to get ours off to the slaughter house june/july.
we are hoping for lots of meat! we are trying to be carefull with feed.
like you we are going to be pig keepers from now on.
welcome to the site
langdon ;)  :pig:  :chook:  :goat:  :cat:  :dog:
have you any other animals.
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »
what exactly are we looking and feeling for,
as said ours are going june/july
ta langdon ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

Martin & Catherine

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:50:25 pm »
Well we have just had our first pork chops which were absolutely delicious along with our first home made sausages, very yummee !
I am over the moon with the results and agree that the fat does definately flavour the meat.

We have also started our hams off by curing in salt. This is great fun and more importantly we know where our food has come from and what they were fed on.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:15 am »
Langdon

You're feeling for bones /fat with reasonable pressure along the pigs back they should have a covering of fat ie you can slightly feel the back bone;same with along the rib cage then generally they are about right.

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28:22 am »
Render all you fat down - we did our outside slowly over on a camping gas cooker over a period of about 3 days.  When piping hot put it into sterilized jars, put the lid on and turn upside down and allow to cool.  Make sure you jars are not too hot otherwise the hot fat will crack the jar. 

If you store in a cool place, larder, pantry or fridge you will be able to make the most amazing roast potatoes, and I used it for the hot water crust pastry for the pork pies. 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »

I have just got my 2 saddleback boars back and there was a lot less fat on them than on the gilts, they were 88.5k each. With these 2 I fed finnisher from 4 months and am not sure if that was why they had less fat on them.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:21:51 am »
I think it may also be that the boars store less fat than gilts anyway.  We find that neutered males store more fat too. 

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »
nice one gavo ;)
i shall be feeling up my pigs then!!!
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »
Hi Martin and Catherine where are you based, I live just outside Dunsley about 4 miles from Whitby, I also used Egton abbatoir in october when my first two OSB pigs were slaughtered, mine were also very fat but delicious, I'm planning to get two more weaners about April.

Regards Karen

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:28:26 am »
I think everybody's first pigs carry too much fat - it's so hard not to spoil them! It's something that comes with experience and, of course, the more pigs you have the more you watch the feed costs.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:13 pm »
I know I'm contrary ;) but its taken me years to get enough fat on our pigs to make decent sausages.    I always fed well, (too well in Hilary's case) yet despite getting them to a good slaughter weight at 8 months, never managed more than 1/2 back fat.  Since changing from tammies to GOS its much better.  I wonder if its the feed, over here all we can get is the stuff for the white whale indoor pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS