Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: building a livery yard  (Read 11477 times)

aceygrace

• Joined May 2015
building a livery yard
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:10:40 pm »
Hi everyone!

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong section...

My Mother and I are looking at buying some land. I have dogs and horses and we were ideally looking for a house with land and hoping to expand into a livery yard business around Nottinghamshire in the UK. However finding a house with enough land/potential for land is proving awkward and we are now considering buying a plot of grazing land and building a small house on it.

This is all new to us (some may say we are being a bit silly but it's something we are passionate about and a bit of a project). Does anyone have advise in terms of

Building/contracting
planning permission for a house
planning permission for stables/schooling areas
static caravans used on the land while building
possible loans/mortgage options for building a business from scratch

Any other comments are welcome. Thanks so much for your help in advance :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: building a livery yard
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:42:39 pm »
Planning Advice - contact your local planning dept re permissions and also caravans.

Building and Contractors - Needs plans drawing up then get quotes to compare. Consider a project manager or contractor who can cover all trades for you.

Loans and mortgages - contact lenders and go in and see them. You will need a business plan. What livery provision is there in the area already.

Lots and lots of research and you might well find is isn't viable.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:42:34 am »
The first question id ask is have you researched the need for another livery yard in your area ? My 2nd question is have you ever run a livery yard before ,? Many livery yard owners love the contact with the horses but hate the people that come with them !!and cant soon get you down .good luck in whatever you decide

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
Running a livery yard is hard work. Most want big stables, good grazing with electric fencing as well as proper strong fencing. At least a riding arena, good safe hacking not to mention someone there 24 hours. You need to find out if there is a need for one in the area you are thinking of buying. Ground must be good to have horses on otherwise will poach. You also will need someone to supply hay near by. Good insurance is a must. The list goes on and  on.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »
by definition grazing land is not yet designated as suitable for development so you will struggle to get planning permission. A better idea could be a very run down old place that you can demolish and replace with a new house....if you can find one with enough land. But competition for such places is very high
Is it time to retire yet?

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »
 I one word, don't. I have 14 acres, barns, stables and I do not have liveries because they are better ways to lose money and have sleepless nights.
  The amount of money needed to set up and run a yard, then the on going upkeep you would never be able to charge enough to cover you borrowing  and would end up subsidising someone else's hobby. 
  Some near me has got planning for a stables and yard but no house, just looking at the plans it will cost them £15,000+ to put in water and electric, I know because we have just moved our electric supply and it cost £4500 and the electric was already there. My neighbour is building a small bungalow and if he wants mains water it could cost him £150,000 and £14,000 for an electricity supply.
  So even if you get planning on agricultural land, and that a huge if because if the farmer has sold it as such he has a good idea its rubbish land and he can not get planning permission, it will cost a fortune.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:01:41 pm »
My friend is a local farmer his neighbour has been quoted £50,000 to have mains water connected 50 metres from the mains. And we are right next to the region's 3 main reservoirs!  :o
Madness

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 07:32:01 am »
We were quoted a huge sum for laying a water main to our property.  We set a contractor on to do the job, first they had to get a road opening licence from the council at £500.  They dug the trench and laid the 62mm pipe demanded by the water authority.  They have had to leave every join exposed and dig meter square holes for the conection to the current mains and also at our end for the new meter to be installed.  Their quote was less than a quarter of the water authorities cost.  We now have to pay the WA £500 to come and join the new pipe to the old and inspect the pipe joins before the holes can be filled in.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
Yes, it is often cheaper to get someone else to do the work and leave ready for connection. The road opening notice here is more than £500 and for works in highways you have to use an approved contractor. The work on private land you can do yourself and it is inspected before connection.

aceygrace

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:24:06 am »
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate all your advice and sorry for the delay in replying.

I think we have underestimated the cost of laying water pipes as you suggested :/ We knew it would be a huge project but logistically it might well be beyond what we can afford.

Ideally we would like to find a house with land even if the home needs a little redoing as long as it is already connected to all the basics.

The problem we are having is that we need/want about 10 acres and it is really rare round here to find so much land with just one house. People tend to be selling significant pieces of land with planning permission for a lot of new homes etc and that obviously pushes the price right up and it's not something we want.

Does anyone have any advice on where to look for something that might suit our purposes or does it seem a little unachievable?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 10:46:49 am »
In which part of the country are you looking?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:20 am »
Mid Wales and the more remote parts of Scotland are probably your best bets. Both are very beautiful.
Or North East England? Ive just sold our Irish draught to a lady in Stockton-On-Tees and Im stunned by the photos she has sent me....its gorgeous countryside.

aceygrace

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:31 am »
We are in Nottinghamshire currently but would be open to moving.

The only consideration I do have is that I have a youngster and where we are now I have a bit of a network available to help and assist. If we moved very rural I would worry about having to do everything alone aqnd maybe being a bit too isolated.

All worth thinking about though :) and we have seen some very beautiful places in Wales advertised so it is a big temptation!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 11:29:26 am »
Aberdeenshire has the highest number of horses in the UK outside of Newmarket so there is a big demand up here. Also land is quite cheap
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:34:32 am »
Aberdeenshire also has the least amount of farriers per horse !  ????????????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS