Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming Sheep  (Read 1735 times)

Tish tosh

• Joined Apr 2013
Worming Sheep
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:24:38 pm »
I have a small flock of Dorset sheep that are just 'pets and mowers'. I need to worm them, usually a friend of mine does that for me. I'm quite confused by all the makes on the market. Which would be a good one to use at this time of year? They are on pasture that my two ponies go on at times as well. I see from other messages that is advisable to move them onto fresh pasture 24-48 hours after worming. My other field has quite a lot of grass in at the moment and I am reluctant to move them their, as they would probably get the scours and attract the flies. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Re: Worming Sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:05:12 pm »
We're in exactly the same situation - We have 10 Jacobs and I really don't know where to start.  Ours are only pets and mowers too and are grazing on pasture that has been used for no other stock for many years.  I'm actually thinking of asking the vet for advice as someone ??? recently advised me not to worm them just for the sake of it.  There just seems to be so many different medications out there that I'm really baffled as to what is what!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:26:03 pm »
Speak to vet and take in a fec sample.  Don't look at brands as such but what they're active ingredients are.  The are several groups of wormers, there's plenty of info out there for you to peruse. 

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:13:54 am »
Generally adult sheep will have pretty good natural immunity to worms, except around lambing time when this often drop.  If you collect some fresh dung eg a couple of pearls from say 10 piles into a bag & drop them at the vet they should be able to do an egg count & help you set up a worming plan.   You may need to check a few times this year until you build up a picture of your sheep & ground. If the counts h8gh & you need to dose then resample 2 weeks after to check the wormer still works on your farm.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS