Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training Dugs  (Read 1418 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Training Dugs
« on: May 01, 2015, 03:17:47 pm »
I put my old sheepdog bitch to sleep a while back now and have been trying to bring on a youngster "Taff" initially with Gwen to help but obviously now alone. Its a hell of a job training a young dog with a lot of push and drive to work with mad sheep. I find a training or work session can leave me with a big smile or in utter despair. I definitely underestimated the value of trained sheep. We have got a group of 8 rams who now know its pointless trying to get past him and 10 weaned ewes who are slowly drawing the same conclusion so we are now finally making quick progress.

We have outruns.. ish left and right (still sticky on moving them off the fence sensibly but can - practising daily), lie downs, stand ups, "walk ups", "hold" - he loves "hold" no need for lugging hurdles about to put fly treatments on! Small batch of ewes, rams or teasers in the corner are going nowhere  - which is great, the old bitch wouldn't hold rams to be squirted.

Inevitably with only Taff to call on I am asking too much of him now and then, and we return to the training field (!) to settle him down again. Anyone looking for a "good home more important than money" home for a fully trained bitch that will work sheep with lambs let me know!!!    ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS